Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cold Weather

My weeping tomcat
Winter has arrived here in the Deep South, and just the idea of swimming outdoors causes me to curl up in the fetal position and weep uncontrollably. At least I have a fat tomcat to weep with me.

Monday I shuffled 2.5 miles and Tuesday I did 5.58. Wow! Maybe this time I really am on the way back. After my run, I drove to Skene with a backseat full of clothing. My wife, who is the best and most selfless person I have ever known, recently received a pay raise on her job and spends every penny of her new finances on our two grandchildren. Caitlin tried on every outfit and looked good in them all, even the one she put on backwards.

I arrived at the pool early and Mark Blackwood was already there. We changed and walked out on deck only to find Cagri, the Mad-Swimming-Scientist, at poolside with a stack of printed workouts. Seriously, it took an entire 8 X 11 sheet of paper to write that practice. His practices are complicated and long. I'm not complaining, just sayin'. We/I did

250 swim
250 pull
250 kick
250 swim
4 X 300 as 50 back/50 free
12 X 25 @ :40 as 2 drill/2 fast
5 X 100 pull with paddles @ 2:00
        2 X 50 swim- build @ 1:00
        4 X 25 race @ ;30
600 as 50 kick/50 back/ 50 free with fins
10 X 50 as 25 underwater kick/25 swim
500 small paddles
Total 5,500 yards = 5,027 meters

I have come to notice that whenever I do some serious running, Cagri somehow knows and tries to get us to wear and fins out in a single session. If you run before coming to our Masters practice, expect to go home without your legs. They will still be in the pool kicking while your butt drives home.

No comments:

Post a Comment