Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Break

Everyday on Facebook I read people's posts of things for which they are thankful. I am thankful, among other things, that I get a whole week off for Thanksgiving. Yeeha!. Monday I didn't do too much but take some naps and shuffle 2.1 miles followed by some weightlifting. Tuesday I decided to ride over to Lake Village, Arkansas and try to finalize some details concerning next year's fundraising birthday swim. For one, I have not yet worked out a route that enthuses me. I did some measuring, acquired some maps, and worked out  a route. Also I met the Superintendent of the Lake Chicot State Park, and met the managers of the Lake Chicot County Park. They are all on board with the swim.

Previously I had talked with Ocee Hunter, the state park man, over the phone. It was good to meet him in person because I am pretty sure now he will not forget me. I found the county park, which is way south and on the opposite bank of the lake. The plan is to start at the state park, swim to downtown Lake Village, then to the landing at the Copper Penny, proceed south to Ditch Bayou, go another mile or so past the bayou, then cross the lake and turn north finishing at the county park.

Having a point to point course complicates the logistics a little bit, but is mentally easier than an out-and-back course and is what I have been trying to work out for awhile now. I'm happy with the course and now can work on other details of the swim.

Wednesday I drove to Grenada and found The Print Shop where I discussed my T-shirt design with the girl there. Tina Garrett recommended her so I thought I would give her the business. The swim is still more than six months away, but I'm trying to get everything done that I can. When I got home from the T-shirt mission, I ran 3.05 and did some dry-land training.

My old running buddy
Thanksgiving Day arrived with a clear sky and some cool but warming temperatures. We eat thanksgiving lunch with the in-laws who live in the Carroll County hills about fourteen plus miles from our home in Greenwood. I decided to ambulate all the way. Since I am not that fit right now, I knew I would have to walk a good bit of this. My goal was to run about eight of the fourteen miles so I left the house at 9:13 a.m. with my Nathan hydration pack and four PowerBar Gels. I walked the first 2.3 miles to warm my legs up before I started shuffling. When I got far out Humphry's Highway and turned onto the lonely gravel road, I soon met an old friend.

We met one cold, stormy night when I got caught running in the dark up a wilderness road where I had seen a large cougar the spring before. I became very frightened, but this dog came out from the last house on the road and went with me all the way. When I arrived at my destination, he stopped at the drive way and watched me until I went inside the house. As long as he was there, I felt totally safe. The dog and I have become good friends and he loves to run up the road with me. I even wrote a short story, "Up the Road," about our runs. My affection for the dog is so strong, I let him narrate the story. Maybe I will post it here sometime.

I ran 8.92 and walked 5.56 miles to create some room for Thanksgiving lunch. I got to hug the grandchildren and everyone was in a good humor. After lunch, I napped until Caitlin hit me with a pillow. For the evening meal, we went to Mom's. My brother, Quinton, and his family were there and we had a nice time sinning with too much food.

No comments:

Post a Comment