Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Chicot Challenge Rampup Has Begun

It's getting close and I'm feeling the need to pour on the distance. The Chicot Challenge is only six weeks away and although I have swum some 42,000 meters more than last year at this time, thanks to the coldest spring in my memory, I am way behind on long swims. Monday I did a little 3.15 mile shuffle and then went to Twin Rivers. The pool was in a little better shape but not much. It always takes a few weeks to get in clean and the chemicals right. It ain't right yet. But it is sooo much cleaner than a catfish pond. I swam 5,700 meters just up and down, up and down: no sets, just lap swimming. I was in a lap mood and felt I needed an easy pace after yesterday's hard swim in New Orleans.

Tuesday I went for a run during my lunch break and did 6.55 miles in a multi-paced fashion. I was stronger at the end than I was on the same workout last week. Good sign. After some nutrition and a nap, it was off to the pool at Twin Rivers instead of Masters. I stayed home to save the gas money and the two hours of driving time thus giving myself the opportunity to do a longer swim. This time I took my thermometer and found the water was 72. That is still a bit cool to me, especially when trying to stay in two or more hours. I swam
I love paddle sets. They make me really strong in the water.

1,700
10 X 100 @ 2:00
400 easy
10 X 100 @ 1:59
400 easy
200 XL paddles
400 L paddles
600 Medium paddles
1,300 Small paddles
Total: 7,000 meters.

The 7,000 makes this my longest swim of the year. Following on the heels of 5,700 the day before, and I feel I am developing a bit of endurance. Since I have to drive to the main campus tomorrow, I hope to take the opportunity to get into a catfish pond, Jerry Nobile's, tomorrow and try to hammer out another long swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment