Monday, April 22, 2013

Weekly Wrapup and New Orleans 70.3

Thursday afternoon I went to the pool and swam 3,200 meters then went out for a run. Some bad weather was moving in and I managed to get 5.22 miles done before the lightening frightened me back into the house.

Friday I had planned to do a short pool swim before heading out to New Orleans where I was to do the swim part of a relay in the Ironman 70.3 Sunday. It was cold. I was tired. I went for a run instead. I ran 3.7 miles then finished packing and left. Big cities cause me a lot of stress and it took some time for me to find my motel in Metairie, Louisiana. One of my teammates invited me to dine with him and his family that night, but I ate in my truck and turned in early.

Saturday I arose around 6:30, ate breakfast in the motel, then went for a run getting 6.49 miles done before I tapped out. I met Dean Seeley, the biker, and Brian Peterson, the runner, at the expo where we picked up our packets. After that we went to Southshore Harbor to find the start and left Dean's bike there. By the time we made it back to the motel, I ordered a burger and retired early.

Sunday we were up at 4:00 and left for the transition area at 4:30. We had an hour and a half before starting time when we got to Southshore Harbor. It was dark, cold, and windy so I sat in the truck for about an hour. I heard the announcer say the water temperature was 64. Ouch. I had planned on swimming skin. That changed my mind. I put on my wetsuit even though the zipper was broken and it catches water in the back like a parachute.
The Three Amigos after the race

Although the professionals had a wave start, the rest of us, thankfully, started in time trial fashion. I think this is much safer and allows swimmers to perform to their potential. First thing I noted when I jumped off the pier was the lack of a cold water shock. Even though I had a sleeveless wetsuit on, I am sure the water was much warmer than the announced 64. To me, it felt 68 or 69. That may not sound like much difference, but to a cold-water-sissy, it's huge. I went out hard and swam my best, finishing my leg in 34:05. Then it was Dean's turn.

To make a short story long, Dean averaged 21.7 on the bike (wow! and in the wind at that), and Brian ran a 2:02. It turned hot by the time Brian started, and he looked shot when he crossed the line. You could tell he left it all on the road. Our combined time was 5:15:44 which put us at 15th among 100 teams. Not too bad for three average Joes.

For the week I

swam 19,959.88 meters
ran 26.66 and
walked 6.15 miles.
I did no weightlifting as part of my mini taper.

For the year I have

swum 237,543.76 meters + 46,705.44 and
run 338.44 miles +  219.35 over last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment