Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Rain

After my flip turn, I looked up through the crystal clear water of Twin Rivers’ pool and saw the surface above me being peppered by the rain. Yeah, it was that kind of day. And John wasn’t there. John.

He will start calling Wednesday wanting to swim, desperate to swim, demanding to swim even though I told him already that Centerville Baptist Church has revival starting midweek and going through Friday night. Yes, I still plan to hit the pool, but I won’t have time to wait on John. And I won’t have time to pray even if he does make it to the pool. No joke, it takes him twenty minutes after he gets out of the pool to make it to my truck where we often have prayer following our dip. Twenty minutes! I have timed it more than twice. That drives me crazy. Everything he does is slow except drive. When he gets behind the wheel of a car, Dr. Jekyll become Mr. Hyde, or something like that. On our recent trip to Tuscaloosa, he drove 80 to 110 miles per hour. I was frightened and Gerald vows never to get into an automobile with him again. He missed it. He missed the rain. Again. He didn't even answer his phone.

The rain was glorious. I won’t even attempt to descrube what it’s like swimming in a downpour. Ineffable. That means you can't put it into words. It’s one of life’s simple pleasures right up there with dipping snuff, taking a nap with a cat, and eating a Snickers Bar.

Once again, I didn’t try to do too much, but I did do a little more. I swam 2,600 meters, and left feeling that smug satisfaction I have when I leave a good top flight restaurant after a good meal and some pleasurable fellowship with friends.

I went home, gave some affection to CC, did some work for MDCC, and just generally got lazy. I re-watched the Alabama/Ole Miss game. That was a barn burner. I went by CVS Pharmacy Monday and they had sold out of sympathy cards. Too bad. I was going to purchase some for several hurting people.

Today, I have an appointment for more therapy and then I plan to hit the pool again. I won't even call John. I already know his phone will be off. But he will call me Wednesday. Wanna bet? Thanks be to God anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment