Monday, November 27, 2017

11/20 - 11/26

Despite all the eating, I held serve. I did not lose the .2 pounds that I set for my weekly goal, but I weighed 183 last Monday morning and 183 this Monday morning. With all the festivities, parties, invites, and food traps, I take that as a victory. Now maybe I can actually lose some this week.

Monday I did some yard work, some air squats, and 4.49 miles of walking. Tuesday I hunted the dogs. This is when I discovered that cave. The total for the outing was 2.11 miles.

Wednesday I took John to the doctors in Jackson. In case you are wondering, that is a plural not a possessive. We saw several physicians. John has to have surgery on his right ankle, and has a case of pneumonia to boot. It was a full day and part of the night which left no time to exercise. The positive was that we were so busy we didn't have time to eat. On the way home, John opted to not stop, so although I ate some when I got home, I only had two meals.

Thursday was, of course, big food day. In the past, I would leave the house early and run all the way to Hillbilly Heaven, 15.8 miles. Will those days ever come back? I did do a little walking (2.51) with our daughter and grandchildren after lunch.

Friday, Penny and i went to Jackson. I squeezed in 2.82 miles of hobbling around some parking lots while my sweetie wife shopped. Saturday, we had our third Thanksgiving meal, this one with our son and Paul Brown. I tried to hold the consumption to just one plate, but the food was musty. I musty have more and more. Later in the afternoon, I tried to limit the damage by walking 4.51 miles.

The swimming is done. The weightlifting is done. I would never even attempt a single stroke with the way the shoulder is feeling now, and it is getting worse every day. I tried to call Dr. Culpepper today to start the MRI ball to rolling. No one answered. Do they close on Mondays? I don't know; I'll try again tomorrow. It is abundantly clear to me that there will be no Chicot Challenge in 2018. Yeah, it hits hard, but what can I do? I've been trying to think of another challenge to replace it. Maybe I could do a walk. Maybe a bicycle ride. I even thought of an eating challenge, but that is the opposite of one of the things I aim to achieve in these efforts: health and fitness. I could do a tobacco spitting contest/challenge, but I stopped all tobacco use many years ago.

Sigh.

I can't help but wonder why. Why would He let this happen to me? Maybe swimming has become too much a part of my identity so it has to be removed. I do love it, but I always thought we should relish the life God gave us, live it, get in the game. Now I am reduced to being a spectator, a wannabe, a has been.

Praise the Lord anyway. "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment