Thursday, November 23, 2017

It Happened

I had never seen it and there is no way it was there when I was a boy. I have rambled this land, these hills, this gully since I was eight years old, first with my dad hunting birds, later on my own stalking squirrels, hunting deer, chasing hounds and raccoons. 

I was shocked at its size and naturally drew closer to take a look. Standing on the east edge of the gully, my gaze was transfixed on the largest Carroll County cave I had ever seen or heard of. "Wow!" I said out loud. Then my eyes began a furious search for a route down the forty foot gully and up the other side. I had to have a closer look.

My view of the cave from the dry creek.
Notice the  leaf-covered trail below it.

Bear, my wife's full-sized, mixed-breed dog, followed as I eased over the edge, dug my heals into the side and went sideways until I found a clear path, then slid down a carpet of leave on my back for about thirty feet before dropping off a ledge to fall the final eight feet onto the soft sand below. Pee Wee, the little mixed rescue that I am attempting to make a squirrel dog of, was absent, out somewhere looking for a squirrel or something to trail to try to bite.

Bear. He's not a hunter, but he's on the team.

From the dry creek, I scanned the slope above and decided on a path I thought I could do. It started with me digging my knees into the soft soil of the steep side and knee walking up, slowly, while pulling myself from sapling to sapling. Finally, I made it to a spot at a log just below the cave. Bear was there and when I looked down, Pee Wee had shown up in the dry creek below and looked up at us with what seemed like an interest in what we were doing.

Pee Wee doing his thing.

In nothing flat, Bear, Pee Wee, and me were peering over a log and into the side of the dark gash of a cave. Immediately the hackles on both hounds rose. I tried to look inside, but all I could see was darkness. I was able to make out what looked like a trail about two feet wide going into the cave. The soil was compacted there in contrast with the softer dirt on either side. I failed to find any tracks, however, and was interrupted by some sort of shuffling sound coming from the darkness before us. The dogs went crazy. 

A closer look at the mouth of the cave and
the log from where we tried to peer inside.

They both barked with a fervor and fear I had never witnessed. This made me nervous so I knee walked and pulled myself around the side of the cave and up over the ledge at the top.

The dogs followed and above they quieted some but continued to bark a bit. Then I, we, heard some sort of growl. I don't know what it was, but the image that popped up in my mind was a bear. The dogs went nuts again, and I began to run-- not too fast because of my aged knees-- away from the cave and towards the truck which was a little over a half mile away.

After about 150 yards, I stopped to catch my breath and look back to see if we were being followed. I didn't see anything coming after us, but while we were there, the loudest, most hideous yell rang out from the direction of the cave that I have ever heard. The dogs again went nuts and fought each other to sit on my shoes. Then another yell broke out, as if in answer to the first one, ahead and to the side of us. It sounded like it came from around Dad's shooting house. 

I loaded my 20 gauge shotgun and fired back towards the cave and then towards the other yell. I wanted whatever that was to know I was armed. When I tried to walk, I kept tripping over the dogs who couldn't get close enough to me. I hate to admit it, but I kicked at them a few times trying to get room to move my legs. Finally, we got to the truck and Pee Wee, who never wants to load but rather keep hunting, couldn't wait for me to open the door. When I climbed in, I had to push and push the dogs away to get enough room to drive because both hounds wanted to be in my lap. We were a couple of miles down the road before I realized I had not shut the gate. I didn't go back.

I don't know what made those yells, but now three days later I am still pretty shaken up. I don't think I will ever feel safe out there again. I am also curious. I want to make another trip to the cave, but I will never do it alone. If you are interested in forming a team, message me on Facebook. I want two photographers (one with a video recorder), and at least two people with guns who know how to use them. We will need some strong flashlights and some rope and some walkie talkies.

Serious inquiries only, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment