Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Chicot Challenge VII: New Blood

I guess there will never be a standard Chicot Challenge. That's OK. The only things standard about it are, we shoot for the first Saturday in June, we raise funds for the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi, and Team Centerville is the swim's backbone. And we do it in Lake Chicot. Every other detail is subject to change, has changed, and no doubt will change again in the future. For the first time, the 2018 version of our charity swim was a relay. There is a long history behind what led up to that, but if you read EndangeredSwimmer, you know the story so I won't bore you with a repeat. 

We did not make our 8:00 o'clock launching time. That was OK. We do it our way, which means any way we can. Wilson showed up at 8:15. About a minute later MJ appeared, and Wilson walked up to her and said, "You must be MJ," extending his hand to shake. "We've been waiting on you for over an hour." 

My kind of guy.

MJ trying to get into the water
without busting her
hinder parts.

At 8:37, MJ Staples butt scooted down the boat ramp at the Lake Chicot State Park and into the warm waters of the blessed lake to start what was to be a day of struggle and fun. The goal? Swim from the park to the boat landing at Ditch Bayou twelve miles away. Accompanying MJ were Trevor McClean and Gerry Johnson in the bright red State Park kayaks. 

Trevor and Gerry take good care of MJ
early in the Challenge.
The loose plan we set for ourselves was for each swimmer to do and mile. We would shuffle them in and out of the water giving the athletes a chance to rest, hydrate, and feed between swim legs. Feeding on the boat simplifies the duties of the paddlers a little bit. MJ swam first and Wilson volunteered to go second after MJ's mile was done.


Wilson in the water
Remember it is Wilson who saved the Chicot Challenge from extinction. When it became obvious that I could not do the swim, I decided to cancel the event but had not made an announcement when Wilson, at a party at Seldom Seen, approached me with an offer to swim in my place. He was hydrating at the time and that may have clouded his judgment some. But before the evening was over, he had not only volunteered but had also conscripted his handsome son, Spence, to relay the swim with him. I readily accepted his offer. A couple of months back, however, Wilson had a pretty serious health scare. Once more, it looked like Chicot was doomed. That is where MJ entered the picture. 



Spence getting ready to show
us how it is done.
Having served as the Official Observer in 2017, she knew us, the swim, the lake, and the cause. Not only that, but MJ is an adventure bug who travels the country swimming and working as support in events from the north to the south, to the east and the west. Recently, she worked SCAR, a four-day stage swim in Arizona so when my wife, after Wilson's health issues, suggested I contact her, I did it and in nothing flat she was part of the 2018 team. Then Wilson decided he could swim at least a bit so we had ourselves a relay in place. And I said I was not going to tell you all of that again.

The third athlete to enter the water was young Spence, a competitive pool swimmer. He did not disappoint but hit the lake with fervor and speed. The kayakers had to work to keep catchand keep up as he sliced through the water with grace and pace.

The day was beautiful, the sky above painted a deep blue by the hand of God, the water clear and fresh looking. The athletes did, however, face a head chop the whole day. But we had sunshine and despite the heat, the gentle winds kept us relatively cool on the boat though it did make the swimming a bit more difficult. 

Leg after leg, MJ, Wilson, and Spence kept leaving the comfort of the boat to swim another mile. On board there was an easy banter between the swimmers and the crew. I overheard MJ telling Wilson about the wonders of SCAR. It sounds like a fascinating event, but it is one of those cold water things which effectively rules me out.

As the day drew on, Wilson asked me if I planned to get into the water. I hoped to swim the last half mile or maybe a full mile, I told him. I was afraid to get in any sooner, having just this very week begun to swim again after a ten month absence from the water. The shoulder is starting to come around. I will do Chicot again, thanks be to God above Who has sorely tried my faith and patience through this ordeal.

Finally, our swimmers brought us into view of Ditch Bayou. I remembered this from past swims. Although we could see the destination, I knew we were still a very long way from our goal, maybe three miles. And these are three tired miles. But slowly we drew closer and closer and then I started looking for my goggles. Spence was drawing us close. Then Wilson got in with about a mile to go. I decided to wait until we were about 3/4ths of a mile from the boat ramp to get in. MJ jumped in with me and the three of us swam in together, a fitting ending for a team effort. I predicted six to eight hours for the swim. It took us eight hours and thirteen minutes. Not bad, a full day, a fun day, and a tiring one. On shore were the remaining members of Team Centerville who were not able to join us on the boat, Kelsey, Debbie, and Gerald joined by our youngest member, Corey.

With us all on land and drying out, I gave MJ, Wilson, and Spence their T-shirts. The crew wears theirs on board and on land before the swim. But I never put mine on until I had completed the swim so I made this year's swimmers wait. Now, all of us in our safety yellow shirts, we posed for a picture.

All of Team Centerville and our three
swimmers on the front row.

The fundraising has been a little slow this year. Yesterday, I mailed checks and a money order totaling $1,124 to the DFM. I still have some T-shirts for sale, and we will collect funds until the end of June. If you have not done so, please make a tax deductible donation to the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi. Mail a check to: 


Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi
800 Avery Blvd N # 100 
Ridgeland, Mississippi 39157

Please put Chicot Challenge in the memo line.

Or give online here:

https://www.crowdrise.com/chicotchallenge
(this link does not work, but you can find it on my Facebook page)

No comments:

Post a Comment