Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Don't Quit

I busted out some good training Monday. Sort of. I ran a bit, 5.18 miles, and it was multi-paced. I ran five .25 intervals at the pace that Katie Jones burned me out at during the last Greenwood Center 5K. It was tough, yeah, but that is what it's going to take -- that and some weight loss -- if I am ever going to regain some of my long lost form. 

Then I met John at the pool. I am still trying to get healthy so I only did a straight swim of 1,350 yards. I felt good and wanted to crank things up a bit, but even I am too smart for that. I held back and got out early. 

John tried to tell me not to lift weights. A few years back, Brett Freeman told me I was too old to run. John told me yesterday that I am too old to lift. I am not buying what they are selling. I might be a shell of what I used to be, but I am still out there doing it, still too stubborn to quit.

In the gym, I took it easy. I have dialed it back. I only did bench presses and external rotations. That. is. all. The pressing went like this:

 14 X 45
 10 X 67
 12 X 100
 10 X 110
 8 X 120

That is way down in both volume and intensity, but I am still too stubborn to quit. I have no plans to quit. If I am ever on a walker, I plan to scoot out there on that thing and do something. I read this somewhere and I believe it to be true that people don't get old and quit, they quit and get old. Think about that. Don't quit. Don't let a number in your head tell you that you can no longer be active. No, I am not one of those who believes age is just a number. Age is real, and it will win in the end. But you can beat if for a long time. Beat it while you can.

Thank you, Jesus, for the hope of eternal life where, I suppose, age will be just a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment