Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Great Weather

Since the weather has been so good, and the water relatively warm, I have swum more than normal this time of year. Last year, I pretty much shut it down after the Suck and only did the Masters two times per week. The water temp at Twin rivers was 70 Friday and 74 Saturday. That once was cold enough to keep me out, but not anymore. Monday afternoon I swam and the water was 73. That is starting to feel pretty warm. Brent was there swimming in his wetsuit. He's pretty lean, so I understand, but 73 is really not wetsuit temp. Monday I did

1,200
20 X 100 @ 1:54
600
Total: 3,800

The 1:54 interval is the fastest I have ever done long course 100s on. It wasn't that bad, but my times were not very good. It's just really hard to push yourself when you are the only one. Brent was there, but he was doing his own thing. Towards the end of the set, I was only getting six seconds rest. But at the pace I was swimming, plus the cool water, that was no problem.  My plan is to work my interval times down on the 100s and add reps which should build endurance and some speed, in other words: stamina. I am breaking mental barriers now which should help me next summer.

Tuesday (today) I gave my presentation at MDCC. I tried very hard to keep the time down and left out so much I wanted to share. Still it lasted 1:08. That's hours not minutes. I did my best and I feel a bit more free now. It was nice and they gave me cookies afterwards. Cookies always make me happy. Preparation kept me from running Monday, and our dog kept me from running today. After the program, I came home and took a nap with Jeff our weenie dog. He is ill, and I was very concerned about him. If something were to happen to this dog, I am not sure my wife would survive it. She is extremely attached to the little fellow as am I. He was better than this morning so I decided not to take him to  the vet. He  just isn't feeling well or eating much. He had perked up some this afternoon but was still not his usual self.

I went to DSU and did

1,200
10 X 100 pull @ 2:00
400 @ 8:00
4 X 100 as 1) @ 1:55, 2) @ 1:50, 3) @ 1:45 with fins, 4) @ 1:40 with fins
400 @ 8:00
4 X 100 @ 1:50
400 @ 8:00
4 X 100 @ 1:45 with fins
650
Total: 5,250 yards = 4,798.5 meters

You gotta love Cagri. I do. He works us pretty hard which is what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment