Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Still a Cold Water Sissy

After taking a nap with my cat, I lifted weights and then loaded up and drove to the pond Monday afternoon. Once there, I did a 2.52-mile shuffle and then took a swim. While I was running, I had my thermometer in the water to get an accurate reading. The water on that end of the pond was 68, an increase of three degrees over Friday. It didn't feel any warmer to me.

As I've mentioned before, one idea I had for naming this blog was ColdWaterSissy. The reason for that name is I admire cold water swimmers and have tried myself, unsuccessfully, to become one. I've done more cold water swimming this year than ever, but I'm still a long way from being able to handle sub-70 degree water for any length of time.

Due to time constraints, I swam only two laps, 1.5 miles. At least I did something but with the cool pool swimming and the cold pond swimming, I was hoping the water would feel warmer. It didn't and neither did I. But the plan is to swim again Wednesday. As long as the weather is so delightful, it seems wrong not to swim whenever possible. Tonight I head to DSU. I am tempted to go to the pond AND DSU. But I need a longish run and I need to see the grandchildren. I suppose if I was really energetic enough, I could do it all. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment