Friday, October 19, 2012

New Pond

Getting ready to get in the new pond.
Randy and I have a new body of water down on the fish farm. Our favorite pond has become too dangerous to swim. In the summer of 2011, we started swimming what immediately became our favorite. It was large and since the farm had just pumped it up, the water was cool and the fish were small. Now the fish are large, the water is crowded, and if something spooks them or excites them, you get hit a lot by rapidly moving fish. Usually being hit is mostly an annoyance but it can be, and recently was, more than that.




 
The new pond was just stocked late this summer, and David tells me the head count is about half of what our old pond has. Since both ponds are the same size, there was no reason not to change.

The water was 65 degrees today, but I got in alone and did two laps and another trip down the short levee and back for 1.76 miles. I wore a light, partial neoprene shirt which gave a little protection, mostly from the initial shock when just starting. I wanted to swim, and I'm glad I took the plunge. Maybe I can keep some outdoor swimming up through the fall and who knows, maybe all winter. I have a wetsuit if the water, and it will, drops too much more. If the weather stays warm like it is now, the water temps should drop slowly and possibly I can acclimate to the colder temperatures a little at a time. Some people, in other parts of the country and in England, swim outdoors year round.

After the swim, I did a little run of 3.35 miles followed by a short walk. The run and walk helped me warm up. I was still shivering after ten minutes of jogging. When I got home, I took a nap with Jeff and Luvie. Jeff has been sick and is on some major meds. He acts like he's feeling a little better. This should make my wive happy. You know what they say, if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment