Wednesday, October 31, 2012

On the Road Again

I did a little shuffle Tuesday. It felt nice to run again. I ran 4.21 and walked 1.5 miles. Then I did a 22 X 30 set of squats. I should have done more, but I have been a bit lazy of late. Next I drove to the my grandkids' house and watched Square Bob Sponge Pants and hugged Smu and Caitlin. Chagri sent a text saying he had an emergency at work. He texted the practice. I did

1,000
9 X 200 as 100 pull @ 2:00, 2 X 50 swim @ 1:00
100 easy
500 kick with fins
500 swim for time (I did 7:07.16, a new PR for me)
100 easy
500 small paddles
Total: 4,500 yards = 4,113 meters.

This put me just over 500 miles for the year. Wu Hoo!

I chatted with Vladimir a bit after practice. He is a distance swimmer, and he was extolling the virtues of running for swimmers. He said the legs consume a lot of oxygen so they need to be in the best condition possible. He is correct, of course, but my kick is so light it seems to make little difference. For me, I just like to run for its own sake. I like the endomorphs I get from a long run, and it does a body good. In the very short time my running has taken a down turn of late, my weight has started trending upward which is another reason to run. All in all, a marathon swimmer should be in top shape: running, swimming, and weight lifting. That is what I generally strive for, but doing the extra dryland training with consistency is what I find the most difficult. It is so easy to get lazy and just do a little running and a little swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment