Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Back in the Water

Cold water and 25 mile per hour wind = no swim
Monday I went to the pond with the idea that it would be safe to swim since my wound should be sufficiently healed. Among the things I carried was a bottle of peroxide to boil my head out after getting it wet with catfish water. When I got there, I threw my thermometer in the water and let it soak while I took a run. I shuffled around PD Lake for a 3-mile outing that allowed me to see waterfowl, trees, open fields, and experience the cool air on my face. When I finished running, I checked the temp on the water. It was 48 degrees! DO WHAT?!?!?! I guess I'm still a cold-water-sissy because I didn't even debate with myself, I just loaded up and drove home.

Tuesday I ran 6.5 and walked .5-miles before doing some leg work. I then drove to Skene and hugged my grandchildren and let Smu slobber me with dog kisses. Finally I made it to DSU and got back in the water. I swam

1,700
5 X 200 as 1-first 50 fast; 2-second 50 fast; 3-third 50 fast; 4-fourth 50 fast; 5-whole thing fast (2:45)
100 easy
8 X 100 as 2 X 4 X 100 as 1-first 25 fast; 2-50 fast; 3-75 fast; 4-all fast
400 back kick/swim with fins
700 medium paddles
Total: 4,700 yards = 4,295.8 meters

It is so nice to be back in the water. I've been checking the ten-day forecast every day watching the weather and waiting for a warming trend. The thing that has been keeping the water temps so low is the night time temps. When it gets into the thirties, all the warmth is sucked out of the water. With the lengthening days and higher sun angle, it should not be too long before the water is permanently in the upper fifties. Then I am going to go crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment