Friday, February 8, 2013

Pretty in Pink

Monday I did a short trainer ride (22 minutes), a short run (2.15 miles), and a long upper body weight session. While doing some pull ups, I felt a little pain in my rear left shoulder. I stopped all pull ups and modified the rest of the workout. An injury would be disaster. I have put myself on the line by publicizing my charity swim to the extent that I have. In order to raise funds, however, you have to publicize. The down side of that is I would feel really rotten and embarrassed if I couldn't pull it off. Tuesday morning the shoulder felt OK, but I am still a little on edge about it.

Tuesday I went to the pond, threw my thermometer in the water, and took off on a run around the multitude of levees. I really love running out there. The levees are soft, the air is clean, and the waterfowl population during the winter is amazing. I ran 4.06 miles and then pulled the thermometer out. It read 49 degrees. Doo WHAAAT!?!?!? I hate to admit it, but I totally wimped. I packed my stuff and left. The inner fire just wasn't there. I guess I'm still a cold-water-sissy.

I drove to my daughter's and got to hang out with my grandchildren a little while then went to masters where I swam

1,100
The new pink tape goes contrasts well with the green water
400 back kick/swim with fins
200
4 X 50 descend
4 X 200 as 100 strong, 50 all out, 50 easy
4 X 200 as above but with fins
300 pull, no paddles
1,000
Total: 4,700 yards = 4,295.8 meters.

Wednesday I had one of those days when I just didn't want to do anything. That happens from time to time, usually once every three weeks or so. Instead of running and lifting weights, I got in bed with my cat and the weeny dog and napped all afternoon.

Thursday I ran 2.13 and then drove to the pond where I was eager to try out the new pink duct tape my wife bought me. I can't wear a nose clip, and I can't swim the pond without one- to do so is an instant sinus infection. My solution is to tape my nostrils with duct tape. It is a skill and through trial and error, I have become quite proficient at it.

The water was up to 58 degrees. Hot dog! I suited up and swam three full laps for 2.14 miles (3,443.26 meters). This is my longest open water swim of the year and puts me a bit ahead of last year's training. At masters I swam

1,000
500 back kick/swim with fins
250
4 X 100 @ 2:00
3 X 100 @ 1:50
2 X 100 @ 1:40
1 X 100 @ 1:30
100 easy
10 X 100 @ 1:30 with fins and paddles
100 easy
8 X 50 as 50 kick/50 swim with kick board between thighs
200 easy
Total: 4,350 yards = 3,975.9 meters.

It was my second successful double, and for the day I swam 7,419.16 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment