Sunday, February 24, 2013

Randy Skin; Me Suit

If Randy had not been there, I would have packed my truck and driven away just like last time. But when long Randy Beets waded his long, bare legs into the fifty-two degree water wearing only a jammer, cap, and goggles, I had to follow. I was decked out in a wet suit. The pain my hands experience in water that cold is almost more than I can bear. OK, I am a sissy, but I just don't like it.

Randy started and I followed. We made the first turn and then my hands started numbing out. Going down the first long side, I passed Randy and put some distance between us. I made it all the way back to the truck and had maybe 100 meters on Randy so I turned back and swan to him, then fell in behind him when he passed. When I saw he was going to get out at the truck, I had only seconds to decide if I was going on for a second lap alone or if I was going to give in and get out also. 
We drive autos over that.


I got out.

What can I say. At least I am way ahead of last year. We both changed clothes and then took a walk to warm up. We didn't run because Randy is nursing a sore foot, the result of doing the full Mississippi Marathon instead of the half. Anyway, we walked a mile and then got on our mountain bikes for a little ride. We went around PD Lake, pedalled up to the PD International Airport, and then back across the Golden PD Bridge where I got stuck and Randy had to use his six foot six inch frame to extracate my bicycle. After getting off the bridge, we rode back to the pond and called it a day.

For the week, I

Ran 22.64
Walked 4.0
Lifted weights one time and
Swam 15,389.84 meters.

For the year, I am at 175.06 miles running and 91,896.5 meters swimming.

Compared to last year, I am +111.06 running and +17,037.1 meters swimming.

With February winding down and March on the near horizon, I have been doing a lot of planning for the Chicot Challenge. Today I made up a flyer that I will use to post, e-mail, snail-mail, and hand out to students and whomsoever. Already, I can feel a little excitement starting to build. But I need distance, more meters and more frequency. Still the excitement builds. Yeehaa.

2 comments:

  1. We're probably the only two people in the whole state of MS that intentionally went swimming that Sunday. Just saying! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt about it, Randy. We be bad!

    ReplyDelete