Friday, February 1, 2013

Big Day

Wednesday after work, I ran 3.62 miles and then did a huge weightlifting session covering both upper and lower body. I really hammered the swimming muscles as well as the the antagonistic muscles and stabilizers. Among other things, I did six sets of benches, six sets of the swim pull, and six sets of one-arm-bent rows going up to 55 pounds on the rows. That's a lot for me. Last year at this time I didn't even own a dumbell that heavy. I am hoping, among other things, to ward off that pain I got around and under my right shoulder blade at about ten-miles last year. Pain at ten-miles this year would be a disaster.

But Thursday was the big day, the really big day. For the first time this year, I got out of bed and ran before work. It wasn't pretty, and I was so slow I'm glad the streets were deserted to hide my shuffle from public scorn. But I did it and got in 4.16 miles. After work, I loaded up and went to the pond and did a suit swim in 52 degree water for 1.7 miles. Then I drove to my daughter's where I took a nap. After that it was to Masters where the Mad Swimming Scientist lived up to his name. I did

1,100
400 pull with paddles
4 X 100 swim with paddles breathing 3, 5, 7, 9 by 25s
8 X 50 all out @ 1:00
300 pull with paddles 
3 X 100 swim with paddles breathing 3, 5, 7, 9 by 25s
6 X 50 all out @ 1:00
200 pull with paddles
2 X 100 swim with paddles breathing 3, 5, 7, 9 by 25s
4 X 50 all out @ 1:00
100 pull with paddles
100 swim with paddles breathing 3, 5, 7, 9 by 25s
2 X 50 all out @ 1:00
100 easy
Total: 4,200 yards.

Usually I swim several hundred, sometimes a thousand, after he says to cool down. I was so spent, I did a sloppy 100 and left. For the day I swam 6,574.1 meters spread over two swims, and an early morning run. I slept like the dead.

Friday I really didn't feel like doing much, but I drove to DSU anyway and did an assortment of nothing very difficult for a total of 3,600 yards.

I finally talked to the T-shirt lady. She e-mailed me her make up. I asked for a few changes and it looks like that ball is finally know about rolling. Not only that, but Luvie made his first announcement on Facebook today, letting people know about the Chicot Challenge. I hope it catches some attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment