Monday, February 11, 2013

Weekly Wrapup


It took seven stitches to close me up.
Friday I drove to DSU to try to get in a good swim. Margaret was there and we sort of made up a practice as we went along. After warming up, we decided on 1,000 finishing every 200 with an all out 25. After that, we did 800 starting every 200 with a hard 50. We took a rest and since she was going to cool down and go back to work, I decided on a kick set. When I went to pull myself up on the deck to put my fins on, my head collided with the starting block that usually is not there (with an impending swim meet, a lot of moving and changing has taken place recently). It didn't take long to realize I had a problem when the water began to turn red. Margaret suggested I drive to Ruleville; she even offered to drive me herself, to the medical clinic there, which I did. I then got to meet Dean Seely, whom I am teamed with to do the New Orleans Half Iron. Ironically, Dean sewed me up and ordered me out of the water for a week. Like I say, the harder I try, the less I do.

Saturday Forrest and I did the inaugural Mississippi River Marathon and Half. We just did the half, and since I had always schooled him in old man superiority, when I lost sight of him within the first half mile, I spent the next ten trying to run him down. I finally caught him at about 10.5 miles and we ran together for about 1,000 meters. Then I died, just crashed and burned like a shot down bomber plane. For the last mile and a half, I shuffled along at about an eleven minute per mile pace, and for the fist time ever, my son beat me. First my head, then my ego. Ouch!

I snapped this crossing the Mississippi River.
I finished in 2:12:19, Forrest in 2:10:08, and Robin Bond in 2:27:15. Also, I got to meet Brian Peterson, the runner for our tri team; he ran 1:55:17. Small world. You may wonder how it is I was just meeting my triathlon teammates. The answer is simple. Due to my victory over Randy Beets at the Swim the Suck this past year, I was recruited to swim for the half iron. Thanks Randy; I knew you had to be good for something.

For the week I swam 13,954.26 meters, lifted weights once, ran 21.66 miles, and spent 22 minutes on the bike trainer.

For the year I have swum 74,632.96 meters and run 127.71 miles.

Compared to last year, I am +16,773.66 meters swimming and +73.49 miles running. The only problem is, due to my banishment from the water, I will have to give up some of my lead in the water this upcoming week. It is to be hoped that I can at least turn in a good week running although I will not run today due to sore knee caps. That boy of mine made me run a whole lot faster than I wanted.




No comments:

Post a Comment