Thursday, October 3, 2013

Beat-Beets'-Butt Workout

I mowed part of the back lawn Monday, picked the boat up from the shop (again), and did a little 2.14 miles shuffle. With all that and a night class on Monday, there was no time left for the pool. However, John Misterfeld wanted to swim Tuesday and he even called and wanted to meet early, so we were in the water at Twin Rivers at about 4:15. I figured this would be my last chance to impact my beat-Beets'-butt condition, so I wanted to go long and hard. I swam

1,000
400 (6:49)
1,000
400 (6:55)
1,000
300 (5:16)
1,000
300 (5:30)
1,000
200 (3:39)
1,000
Total: 7,600

That, my friend, is a beat-Beets'-butt workout.

Wednesday I decided to forgo the pool again and just run. I did a light set of squats and then ran 6.05 miles with two miles at marathon goal race pace thrown in. I've decided that I want to try for a good marathon time at the Mississippi River Marathon in February. A good time for me would be anything in the low four hour range. Ideally, I would be giddy at breaking the four hour barrier.

After the run and cool down, it was then time for some nutrition, a bath, and my night class. We had a nice discussion of last week's film, The Journey of August King, which features the most developed Christ-figure I have ever seen. The symbolism of that film, its message, and imagery just blow me away, and I think this is the class's favorite until this point in the semester. We watched American Beauty, a film I love in part because of its interesting compositions and the unexpected Christ-figure. To my knowledge it is the only movie I know of, besides Sunset Blvd, that is narrated by a dead man (no, DOA is not). To  my great delight, they are getting it, and three students brought me Snickers Bars. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment