Monday, October 14, 2013

Suck Week

I really don't know why I didn't post much last week because I certainly intended to. I did write already about what I did last Monday which included 2,800 meters of swimming as I began the final taper week for the Suck. Tuesday I ran more, 6.21 miles but swam less, 2,400 meters as

1,300
6 X 50 @ 1:00
400 as 75 easy/25 hard
400 as 25 hard/75 easy
I like the hard/easy swimming as it makes my rear deltoids burn for 50 meters after slowing down. This is the kind of thing the Mad Swimming Scientist has us do, and I find that his influence is ever with me even when I swim alone.

Wednesday I only shuffled 4.12 miles and swam a mere 2,000 as

1,400
600 as 25 hard/75 easy

Thursday I ran another 7.05 miles on a knee that has been getting increasingly sore and then went to Twin Rivers for my final pre-race swim, and easy 1,000 meters. Then I went home and packed for the trip to Tennessee.

Forrest and I left Friday morning at 7:00 am, and for the first time we had time to find our motel and rest a little before the pre-race meeting. The swim was great and I finished in my best time. I plan a full write up on the race. Let me now just say, if you are looking for a destination marathon swim, Swim the Suck is a good choice. Chattanooga is surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery  on earth, the city is big enough to have loads of things to do but small enough not to overwhelm a small town Mississippi boy, and the swim down the Tennessee River is awesome, literally awesome. Karah Nazor and company do a first class job in organizing one of the greatest events I've ever been a part of.

For the week, I swam 24,290 meters, and
ran 21.49 miles.

Because my knee was sore, I decided against running Friday and Saturday. Last year after the Suck, I ran from the finish to the after race party, about four and a half miles. This year I took the shuttle like everyone else. It was a glorious swim, I got to spend some quality time with my son and some good friends, and I beat Beets' butt. Yeehaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment