Thursday, May 7, 2015

Won Again

I did it again. I won a 5K. Actually it was an even three miles, but I won my second one this year and I'm as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. A few weeks back when I went to campus and beat all two of the other runners, Dean Rice stopped me after my victory and asked me to send names of participants who might be willing to compete in Greenwood. 

We've never done that at the Greenwood Center, so I tried my best to gather a crowd but was only able to send in five names. I didn't hear anymore from Rice. Until last week. We'll do it next week (this week) Tuesday at 2:00 was his message. 

What?!?!? 

That's exam week. 

But exam week is better than no week.

So we did it. Only by the time Chief Manuel made it to town, we were down to three and that number included me. Stephen Brunson was the lone walker and Jaleel McCall and I would battle for supremacy between one another in the runner division. 

Since we had never done this before, Chief left it to me to set up the course which I did Tuesday morning before work. I rode out Wade Road and measured a mile and a half from a suitable starting spot that would not need marking. The starting spot that is. The turn around was on an adjoining gravel road. I made a faint green streak on the gravel with some several-years-old spray paint I dug out of the shed out back. I made the mark and hurried off the work. What could possibly go wrong?

I drove my truck so I could get in some water after the run. Chief transported the other participants. We lined up and I pointed out where we were going and told Chief where to find my mark so he could drive ahead and set out a cone. 

I know, you're ahead of me, but let's not be in to big of a hurry to get there. We took off and just like the last run, Jaleel shot out to an early lead. Just like last time I thought, second place is not bad. Just like last time his gap grew, stopped growing, and then slowly began to disappear. 

I caught up with Jaleel about a half mile in and went around. I could hear his footfalls for a while as he ran on my heels for a minute or so before he began to fall back. Up ahead I could see Chief in the white MDCC van as he drove straight by my mark and went way beyond. I had told him it was about a quarter mile after turning onto the gravel, but he must not have looked at his odometer.

He drove back to me and asked again where the mark was. I tried once more to tell him. My instructions were most likely not very clear seeing how I was breathing like a weener dog after chasing a chicken on a hot day. He turned around and drove back out the gravel road about the time I turned onto it. He just kept going. 

When I got to the mark, I tossed my cap in the center of the road and turned around. I yelled at Jaleel as we passed one another and told him to turn at the hat in the road. I guess he did.

Chief came back again and asked once more about the mark. I told him about the hat and he turned around and took off once more. After Jaleel and I finished, we got in my truck and drove back towards Chief who by this time was motoring along behind Stephen. When We drew near he stuck my cap out the window, so I know he finally found the mark. 

I took Jaleel back to the school and then went to Twin Rivers where I swam

1,500
4 X 150
4 X 200
400 countdown
100 easy
total:3,400 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment