Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Hodge Discusses Annabel Lavers and the 2015 Swim the Suck

By Jay Unver

With world champion Zane Hodge absent from this year's Swim the Suck, the aquatic world is ablaze with chatter, consternation, and speculation as to why Hodge dropped out and who will ascend the throne left vacant by the dominant world champion. The contenders are: Justin Nunnery, who piloted Hodge for the 2014 Suck, Randy Beets, who abandoned Facebook to free himself from the torments of his nemesis, and Wilson Carroll, the newest Fasttrack Fattie and Big ASS Endurance athlete.

I recently contacted Hodge and met with him in his office at the Greenwood Center of Mississippi Delta Community College where I took the opportunity to pick his brains and get his thoughts on Anabel Lavers, Randy Beets, and who he believes would take his crown this year in Chattanooga. 

Me: Good morning, Dr. Hodge. How are you feeling and what are you training for now that the weight of the Suck is off your solid shoulders?

Hodge: I am feeling well. Mostly I have been shuffling, training for the Great Noxapater Journey Run. You know I attempted the run in December of 2013 and failed on the first day. This time there are many more miles on my legs, and I think I have a real shot at success.

Me: So if you are successful, you will set yet another Big ASS world record. Is that the goal?

Hodge: Yes and no. I always get a charge out of establishing world records, but this run is about a lot more than that. I am approaching the GNJR as a reenactment of my great-grandfather's epic journey from Utah when he was twelve years old (see "Reenacting" 9/3/2015).

Me: Speaking of records, Big ASS ruled that you are still the world record holder for the longest swim ever. In fresh water.

Hodge: Yes. I must admit that really did make my day when I received the news. I was happy that Annabel Lavers was successful in her English Channel attempt. She is the first of our organization to do so. But I thought my record was gone and that was a little sad. The ruling that she is the world record holder in salt water, and I remain as the record holder in fresh water takes a lot of pressure off of me. Without that decision, I would have been tempted to go for over twenty-one miles on the next Chicot Challenge to get the record back.

Me: So the plan is still for you to go for twenty next June.

Hodge: Yes, still twenty. I want to leave room to continue upping the distance each year as long as I can.

Me: As long as you can. And how long do you think that will be?

Hodge: I really have no idea. I think most likely I can up it for another three years, maybe four. But that is mere speculation. Swimmers usually age well in respect to their sport. As a runner, my best days have been behind me for a couple of decades already. I'm still climbing as a swimmer, which is one reason I love it so, I think.

Me: And the Suck? What do you think will happen at this year's Suck.

Hodge: First, I think Randy will show up now that I will not be there to humiliate him again.

Me: Will he take the Big ASS title?

Hodge: Probably not. If I were a betting man, I would place my money on Wilson Carroll. I think he will take the gold, and it will be a dog fight for the silver medal between Beets and Nunnery.

Me: Any second thoughts about being there?

Hodge: No, really there are not. Physically and mentally I wasn't feeling it and I'm still not.

Me: Were you burned out from the Chicot Challenge in June?

Hodge: I won't say burned out, but I was definitely burned down. Wisdom told me I needed to take some time off and make sure I recovered so I can continue the Chicot Challenge next June. That swim is about more than me. It's about a message, a lifestyle, and a disease. I don't want it to fall by the wayside because I live in the epicenter of the world-wide diabetes epidemic. Plus I am running pretty well right now, and I want a rematch with the Great Noxapater Journey Run before I get too old.

Me: Speaking of too old, when will that be?

Hodge: Like swimming, I really don't know. My speed is gone, although I am working feverishly to get as much of that back as I can. My endurance still builds well, maybe better than when I was young. But I can tell the difference in a number of ways, speed being one and recovery being another. I want adventure, now, I yearn for it, and I have a need to do this run.

Me: What about next year? Will the Suck return to your calendar?

Hodge: I'm not sure, but maybe not. I am thinking of swimming some new water around here in my home state. If I do another public event, I may choose another one. I love the Suck, but I have done it four times, and I crave some new experiences. That is how I feel about that now. My attitude may change later, but right now I am looking ahead to different things.

Me: Thank you very much, Dr. Hodge. I will do a write up on your journey run when you make it.

Hodge: Thank you. I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment