Friday, November 6, 2015

In Praise of Cats and Naps

Yeah, it's that kind of day. 

I'm in bed with cats, a weenie dog, and coffee. The drizzly rain has stopped, but the lazy mood has stayed. 

I just might remain here all day. Probably, however, I will drag out once the coffee pot runs dry and try to do something productive. But for now, I feel that taking it easy is pretty productive.

I suppose that is just one reason I like and value cats so much. They know how to rest, and they appreciate the benefits of a good nap. Unlike dogs, cats have no need to impress a human with activity. I once had a dog, a good dog-- an outside one-- who thought she had to arise to her feet and point the pear tree every time I exited the back door. She guarded that tree zealously and to the best of her abilities, against squirrels and jaybirds, and she felt the need to constantly show me she was on the job. I appreciated that.

Not so with cats.

Cats have no shame at sloth. Rightfully so I might add. I agree wholeheartedly that napping is not only a good activity and a necessary activity, but a divine one at that, and felines are the ultimate evangelists for this bit of neglected theological truth. Even God rested on the seventh day. If it's good enough for God, it's good enough for me. It seems sometimes that much of man never got the memo. I framed it.

Rest on brothers and sisters. There is always time for work. 

Tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment