Monday, May 31, 2021

5/24 - 5/30

This is the week that started my training for the National Senior Olympics. The difference is not that great. My emphasis is now on the swim and my lifting has changed to try to enhance sports specific strength and anaerobic fitness of the swimming muscles. To make this slight shift, I began Monday with 2,300 yards of swimming. To that I added 5.36 miles of roadwork and a nice session of weights at Plate City.

Tuesday I did not run, but took an early morning bicycle ride with Jim Robbins and Billy Bowman. Then I swam 2,171 meters, divided between the two pools. I did not lift. Wednesday, however, I did lift, but not before I ran 6.03 miles and swam 3,300 yards.

Thursday I only shuffled 2.30 miles, did not lift due to the BBB video I got suckered into, and swam 3,350 yards. Friday I did it all. I swam 3,750 yards, ran 4.55 miles, and lifted those weights like I was mad at them. Saturday I continued with 2,550 yards in the water, 2.16 miles on the road, and several tons in the gym.

For the week, I

ran 21.32 miles, 

swam 16,107 meters, 

lifted weights four times, and 

cycled 28.87 miles.

Now I will track a new statistic, the number of miles run and the number of yards or meters swum since the Mississippi Senior Olympics. Since this is week one of my nationals training, the numbers listed above are the same as my new track. Next week, however, they will begin to diverge from one another.

Life is exciting now as my training has a new focus now. I am doing more than just going through the motions. I am trying not to be embarrassed in front of my wife. She, like John, thinks I am better than I am. I don't believe she understands the difference between the state level and the national level of competition. But her enthusiasm is infectious. Thank you for that, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment