Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Harder I Try . . .

After Sunday's swim with Randy, I decided to go back to the pond Monday after work since the air temp was warm and the Sunday swim boosted my cold water eagerness a bit. I suited up and swam 1.36 miles (2,188.24 meters) and then got out and ran another 2.11 miles. After the little shin issue last week, I am being ultra conservative and just don't want to risk a further aggravation. The 27-mile birthday run with my son was a bit too much, and I knew from past experience that the following few days carried a high risk of injury. Also I know from experience that this type of issue, something sore after overdoing things, will almost always clear up rapidly with a little rest..

Where is Randal Beets when you need him?
Since Tuesday was even warmer than Monday, I hatched the idea to do a double swim and go to the pond and then on to Masters. Sunday the water was 50, Monday it had warmed to 54, and Tuesday it was all the way up the 58. That made starting a lot easier, but I still got cold. I did make 1.65 miles before I tapped out. I also ran 2.5 and did a little walking.

At my daughter's house, my granddaughter got her Kindle out and started Sponge Bob for me. She always tries to make me happy in some way, and lately she loans me her Kindle to watch cartoons. I am not about to tell her that I really don't want to watch because she seems to get such joy in trying to please me. She is a sweet child and a true giver.

I was only 800 yards into my warm up at Masters when the Mad Swimming Scientist ordered us out of the pool because of a tornado warning. Dude, this has happened before. The last time I tried a double swim we got ordered out then also. I am trying really hard to get some major yardage in and it seems the harder I try, the less I do. Last week I did 5,392 meters on Tuesday. I swim twice this Tuesday for only 3,369 meters. What to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment