Monday, September 25, 2017

9/18 - 9/24

It was a better week all the way around. Besides the usual, I trained a little, visited a doctor and a physical therapist, and I preached Jo Barrentine Barne's funeral which was both a sorrow and well as an honor. 

Monday I went to the orthopedist and he gave me another shot-- this one in the back of the shoulder-- and prescribed some physical therapy. I felt really good after that visit, and I firmly believe I am now on the road to recovery. 

Tuesday I was at Twin Rivers alone. John was supposed to meet me there at 3:30. He didn't show. I swam an easy 1,700 in 84 degree water. That's a pretty nice temp for this time of year. I also mowed the front lawn and got in .88 of a mile walking.

Wednesday I was back in the water. This time I only swam 1,100. The shoulder was a little gimpy. The water had warmed to 86. 

Thursday the shoulder felt better and swam another 1,700 with one 400 at the end.

Friday morning I had my first physical therapy session. I do not like to do anything before a funeral, but I didn't want to cancel the appointment. I thought I was getting Trey Hodges, but they farmed me out to a young woman who looked to be about the age of my granddaughter. Despite her youth, I found her competent, unhurried, and unafraid to touch me. That is one of my sister's bugaboos. Recently, I looked in the mirror and saw my right carotid artery bulging from my neck, pulsating with every heartbeat. I went to my physician, and he was not concerned but he did order an ultrasound "just to be sure." When my sister asked about my doctor's visit, she asked if he examined my neck. The fact is that I have seen one doctor and had an ultrasound and not one person has put a single finger on my throat. "No one touches anyone anymore," she exclaimed in frustration. 

Well, my PT was not afraid to push, pull, and twist on my upper arm. That made me feel better because none of that produced any pain. I was thinking at one point that I had a torn labrum. Now, I think not. Anyway, she worked me out thoroughly but gently and sent me home with appointments for next week and some exercises to do on my own.

Saturday after some sermon prep, I swam in the morning. I did 2,000 and the pace was a little better even though I am not focusing on that at all. The water remained a pleasant 86 degrees. After that, I took a couple of naps, watched some football, and then went out late in the afternoon for my shoulder workout. I added some to the routine. I did some bench presses thusly:

15 X 8 dumbbell
10 X 45
10 X 45

I felt the benches at the bottom. It was tight the last few inches and if I went up or down quickly, I felt some discomfort. Other than that, it was all good. I also did a couple of sets of the Swim Pull:

30 X 18
31 X 18 plus a washer

Sunday I woke up for the first time in thirteen weeks without pain. The pain has not been bad, but the first few movements of every day have been either painful or uncomfortable. After church, I did my shoulder routine again and some more bench presses. This time I did

16 X 10
12 X 45
10 X 50
10 X 50

It was better than the day before. I did them all slowly, but I felt no tightness at the bottom of the bar drop. I did one set on the Swim Pull of 40 X 18. That felt like a real exercise set, almost like training.

For the week, I swam four times for 6,500 meters. I walked 3.57 miles, and I sort of lifted weights two times. Thank the Lord, for this was much better than last week, and I hope to ease the swimming up some this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment