Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The Shoulder

Update: the shoulder is better, better enough to make me think it will, as the doc said, "Go all the way."

Friday I had my first official physical therapy session. I have been gently working it on my own, but at 10:00 am this Friday past I was at Advance Fitness for my first appointment. The first thing the therapist did was ask a bunch of questions, and test my corator tuff by having me push and pull from several positions. Then she went to the twisting and pulling in and out and up and down. All of that made me feel better because I had no pain and the pulling out. I was once afraid that I had labrum damage because it would sometimes hurt when I was simply walking. I thought that was because the shoulder was trying to pop out of socket when the impact of my steps jarred it. Now I think it was just the jarring on the biceps tendons.

Anyway, after the testing, she started working me out. The first thing I did was that arm bicycle thing. I liked that because it was an aerobic workout on my arms and chest muscles. That would be great for dryland work for a swimmer in the winter. I did make a similar machine with an old bicycle frame that Leflore Steel modified for me. I hooked that thing to a trainer and hung it on the power rack at Plate City Gym. But that contraption is difficult to put up and down. I can't leave it out all the time because the chain will rust on the bicycle and the trainer will ruin. Not only that, but I have to reach a lot to grab the peddles. Still, I like the concept, and I'm always looking for ways to boost the fitness of my swimming muscles out of the water during the winter when a proper quantity of swimming is impossible.

Next, she brought out one of those bands and started me on external, then internal rotations followed by exercises that had my straight arm pulling from the front to the back and then from the back to the front. That was also nice because I could feel those muscles, especially the external rotations, being worked for the first time in a long time. She had me do some stretching, and then gave the shoulder to a sonogram treatment. She ran that thing around and around the deltoid while it became warmer and warmer. She then sent some exercises home with me so I left feeling that it was worth the time and expense and my confidence is starting to come back.

Saturday, I swam early and felt good doing it. In late afternoon, I did my rehab exercises plus some additional work in the backyard such as bench pressing, lateral raises, and dumbbell curls all with extremely light weights, of course. When I tried the same exercises on the left arm, I was a little surprised at how much difference there was in the strength of the two appendages. But what can I expect? For weeks, I did nothing with the right arm except carry it around like a dog does his tail. Even of late, I baby it. But why not. It is mine and I like it. I want it to be well and happy.So it will take a while to regain the lost strength. 

I am a little concerned about the corator tuff muscle that is responsible for external movement. It is the weakest of all of them and gets a little uncomfortable when it is worked. I think this is where the ripping sound came from when I picked up that concrete pad. To this day, it does not like to be stretched, in fact I won't even think about doing that. It is the weak link in my shoulder at this point. But things are changing. I am now thirteen weeks into this thing, my confidence has risen, and I am not taking health or recreation for granted. Let us be determined not to do that. We can lose our health in an instant. Every second we have it, we are blessed. Thank You God for all of Your goodness towards the sons of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment