Thursday, September 7, 2017

Comeback Four

Being determined not to have another nothing week and with things returning somewhat to normal, I went to the pool yesterday. I'm glad I did. I learned a few things.

One thing I learned is that the kids are done swimming for the year. They usually stop somewhere around this time, but last year it was closer to the middle of the month. How I know is I saw one of the employees stacking the pool chairs. That means the season is winding down. So I took the opportunity to stop on the far end of the pool where she was putting the chairs and ask her if the kids were done. Yes, she said they won't be swimming anymore after school. !!!YEE HAAA!!! That means I can go in anytime now when I get off work and swim without fear of being invaded by 75 screaming children who run and jump with reckless abandon and make lap swimming an impossibility.

I even took the chance to ask about Debbie, the manager, leaving the pool up year round. John has been telling me that she vowed to him that she is not going to drain it. Malia, a full-time worker there who was stacking chairs, said John is correct. Because of the new lining, the pool has to stay full (who knew?) "With chemicals?" I asked, my voice quivering in excitement. "With chemicals," she answered. Hot dog, God does love me.

So now I have more opportunity than ever, and if they get the new pool, the indoor one, built I will have the chance to build fitness to the twenty-four hour level. How about that, Team Centerville? 

Yeah, I know. I promised. But somewhere somehow, I have the inner desire to see how far I can push it. 

I know, I know, after last Chicot I said I found it. I said that I was satisfied and that I would never again swim for sixteen straight hours. But I think there is a little more, a little more in the realm of the possible and slowly the itch to go there is starting to build. Maybe I won't do it a Chicot. My wife has already told me that if I swim in the dark again, I will do it without her. But sometime before I get too old, I want to swim farther. It's nice to dream, at least.

But before I can build that kind of fitness, I have to get well and speaking of well, let me tell you about that. Yesterday was my first swim in, well, let me provide a grand review of my swimming after Chicot. This is the 14th week since I swam for 23.5 miles non-stop. Life has been trying since, but God is always good. Below is a list of weeks that followed Chicot and the number beside the week is the total meters swum within that seven day cycle.

week one - 0
week two - 2,200
week three - 10,100
week four - 0
week five - 0
week six - 0
week seven - 1,200
week eight - 0
week nine - 0
week ten - 2,400
week eleven - 4,300
week twelve - 8,400
week thirteen - 0
week fourteen (this week) - 1,700.

You get the picture. For me, training begins at 10,000 plus and seriously training, Chicot training, begins at 20,000 per week. A quick glance at the list above shows four attempted comebacks (three since injuring the right shoulder). People keep telling me to be patient. I want to Batman slap them. I have been patient. I have been very patient. I have been very very patient. Not only that, but I have been extremely patient. I have been more patient than anyone I know. In fourteen weeks, I could be fully healed and have gone through rehabilitation from having a bone sticking out of my arm. But instead, I am suffering in silence, trying to cope, trying to get my gift back. Maybe that is it. I will begin to quote, pray, and believe 

                 The gifts and callings of God are without repentance.
                                                                 Romans 11:29 KJV.

I believe this swimming is a gift and I have tried to use it to help others. It also helps me and keeps me from getting really crazy.

Yesterday did feel good. The water was cool, maybe 80 or 81. Cool? Yeah. You bathe at 95 to 100. Last time I swam, the water was probably 90 plus. With the rain and the cool nights, the temps have fallen and will likely stay down. When they get into the mid 70s, no one will get in not even at gunpoint.

I like to think this is the comeback that will work. I do know the shoulder is not right, that somethings in there are not fully healed. But I think it needs moving, working, exercising. I have lost strength, range of motion, and of course confidence. And since no one will advise me on rehabilitation, I have to do it myself. I have been moving it to the sticking places and holding it there. I have been doing weightlifting with tiny one pound plates. I have been patient. I have been very patient. Did I mention that I have been patient? I hope you believe me because the idea of Batman slapping someone has been in my mind for at least a month now. God has preserved me and kept me from that sin.

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment