Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Comeback Five

Yep, I started comeback number five. After a full week off (again!) and another trip to the doctor, I began Monday night with a little personal rehab in my bedroom. You know it's easy if I do it in the bedroom. I did three sets of lateral raises with one pound weights, three sets of one-arm bent rows with five pounds, and three sets of bicep curls with five pounds. Don't say I'm overdoing it because a ninety-year old paraplegic could do more weight than that. I am simply trying to prevent any further atrophy of my muscles until the physical therapist can give me some direction. He is supposed to do that Friday morning.

In the past when I have done this workout (all two times), I always managed to hurt myself in some way the same day so that I didn't know the effect of my rehab. The shoulder was always gimpy the next day but I couldn't be sure why. Tuesday morning it seemed OK so I planned a trip to the pool. John cancelled on me (boy was I surprised), but I went in and did an easy 1,700 meters. The water had warmed back to 84 degrees so it felt really nice. Sunshine splattered all over the place making the pool bright as well as my mood. Not only that, but I had the place all to myself. I love that. What's not to love. Now I plan to go again this afternoon for maybe 2,000 or so. We'll see, but what I am not going to do is another 3,000 like I did the day I swam with John. That was last Monday. He always pushes me which is good when I am healthy and training for something. Now, however, is not the time to push, but it's the time for restraint.

I just found out that I am preaching Sister Jo's funeral. That means I will keep the swim this afternoon very short and will go home and pray and study. I am not surprised. In fact, I wrote the rough outline to her funeral last night even though I did not know they would call me to do the service. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment