Saturday, March 19, 2022

To You Too

I saw the biscuit hit the ground. Then I heard the gate creak. He was in a salty mood. You could see it on his face, and he didn't even speak as he sat down.

"Well good morning to you too," he said after a couple of minutes of silence. I was picking up stuff at Plate City, tidying up. Then to be even more of a smart-alec he added, "No, I don't need any coffee. Thank you."

That last one got to me a little. I held my breath and said a quick but silent prayer.

"You know we are moving?" I asked him.

"Tell me again for the 23rd time."

"I just don't want you calling me lazy when I have been spending . . . ."

"Oh shut up!"

At that, I grabbed the red tubing with the handle on it and started doing external rotations. He pisses me off sometimes, but adults don't tell other adults to shut up.

I sat down a minute later and asked him, "Did a dog bite you on the butt on the way over here?"

"What kind of stupid question is that?" he snapped.

"One trying to figure out why you are in such an ornery mood."

"I'm always in an ornery mood," he said somberly.

"Well Jim Bob, write this one down because you just set a PR."

"What's a PR?"

"A personal record."

We listened to the birds sing. That is always good for one's mood, one's mind, one's soul.

"Did you and Tyler train yesterday?"

"We did." But when I didn't say anything else right away he started gesturing, moving his shoulders then his hands. "Are you OK?" I asked.

"Dang doo doo. Tell me what y'all did."

It always amazes me that he is so curious to know all about our training while he himself does nothing. He drinks coffee, watches the news, and reads books.

"We just did some light lifting. Not much volume, and not much intensity. This is our de-load week. Next week we begin the first of three ramp up cycles as we attempt to peak for the powerlifting portion of Quadrathon."

"Did you run?"

"I did, but only 1.71 miles. No, I did not swim. I spent the rest of the day moving."

"Make any progress?"

"Actually, we made a lot. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are going to get this done."

"And?"

"And training will have no limits then, no guilt, no hindrance."

Jim Bob got up and headed for the gate. "Good bye to you too," I smart-aleced as he left the backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment