Saturday, May 18, 2019

I Found It?

I've been on a quest to find a monster swim. Am I getting too old for this? There were several times over the past few weeks that I just left the pool when I had time and energy to keep swimming. What was lacking was the will. Where did that go?

I looked every day this week. I went to the pond today, Friday, to see if time, opportunity, and will could meet together in the water. Did they?

I like to have at least one swim of four hours. In the past these four-hour swims have been nonstop and without feeds. I knew ahead of time I was not doing that today, I was not going to refuse a rest or some food. But could I get some distance done and some time put in?


My beach for the day.

It was a beautiful day. The sky was blue, the weather warm, and as can be seen from the photograph above, the pond was lovely. Notice that red-winged blackbird on that plant at the water's edge. She and a brown thrasher were there and nearby the whole time I was there. The sang, or did the chastise me? they flew about, and the blackbird hovered over me anytime I stood up and waded into the pond.

The blackbird hovering over me. Odd.

I started swimming around 10 a.m. and the water felt good. I did three laps, 1.8 miles, and crawled out to eat and drink. I watched the birds and thought of my mom. She was obsessed with birds. She photographed them, watched them, talked about them, owned them, raised them, and always, always noticed them.

At the truck, I ate potato chips and drank water while I watched the two birds. Then I climbed in for some more swimming. I did another three laps and climbed out with a total of 3.55 miles. An oatmeal cream pie was my snack this time and the birds continued to amuse me. They made lots of noise, music. But were they really singing or fusing at me? I was never sure.

 My wife did the color coordination.


My wife purchased the hunter orange duct tape you see above. "No self-respecting catfish pond swimmer would wear grey tape with a black cap," she told me incredulously.

"But nobody is out there. I am alone. No one will see," I pleaded.

"You'll post a picture on Facebook. Everyone will see. Take some pride in yourself and do it right."

"OK," I said, giving in.

On my third swim, I began to have goggle issues. Too many times in and out of the water and they begin to fog. I stopped several times to wash them out. Consequently, I got out after only one lap to change out the goggles. I didn't eat this time, but I spent a few minutes watching the birds.

Back in I went for two more laps. My Garmin, which was under my swim cap, buzzed for the sixth time while I was swimming the homestretch. I stopped at my getting in and out place and looked at the watch. It read 6.15 miles. I need a little more, I thought, so I turned around and swam up the levee and bit and then swam back to the truck. The watch now read 6.22 miles.

Enough? A monster swim?

Well, it is at least a small monster swim. The swimming time was 3:35. Short of four hours and short of seven miles I was hoping for. I had time, but I needed to get home, bathe, and rest for date night with the wife. I hate to be bad company which I certainly would be without a nap.

June 1 will reveal if 6.22 is a monster swim or not. For now, I am taking it on faith that it is long enough. Thank you, Jesus, for a really nice day on the fish farm.


No comments:

Post a Comment