Thursday, May 23, 2019

Last Pond Swim

I made my last pond swim Wednesday.

What's that, you say?

Not my last pond swim ever, just my last one before this Chicot Challenge.

Ten days out from a marathon, I like to do a significant swim. Significant usually means long but not my longest. This time it meant my longest of the year.

She was back.


As soon as I climbed out of the truck, that red-winged black bird was back hovering over me. I guess it was the same one. And the brown thrasher was back also. The gangs all here; let's have a party.

The party started with a 2.32 mile swim. I was relaxed like I have not relaxed anytime since the old days, two years ago. This is very important in marathon swimming. I felt like I was taking a nap.

Still worried about style.


After nutrition, round two of the party was a 2.02 mile swim. On that one I notice the red-winged black bird on a light line at the far end of the pond. Was it the same one? I don't know. They looked the same at least.

Round three was 1.18 miles. Now I was getting close. I left the house thinking I needed at least five miles and maybe seven. Round four's .83 gave me 6.35 for the day. I tapped out and went home. That's 10,217 meters, a pretty good day.

Thank you, Jesus.

Not four hours but close.

No comments:

Post a Comment