Thursday, January 21, 2016

Baffled

I was gung ho for heading to DSU Thursday night (today), and even dug out my training journal from last year to see how many yards I swam on the same night 366 days ago. I even planned to start making my third trip to DSU this Friday. Last year I began the third trips to the indoor pool in mid-February.

Without doing Swim the Suck last October, I missed that second buildup and consequently I finished 2015 with more than 200,000 fewer meters of swimming than I did in 2014. That's a lot. And to make matters worse, I am already behind last year's pace for the calendar year. I know it's still only January, but I am starting to feel a little insecure. 

So when I received the text message that Masters was cancelled due to the weather, my heart sunk. Instead of catching up and getting maybe a little ahead, I now will fall even farther behind. What makes me really crazy about this is "the weather" that has everyone around here friggin out is nothing but rain with a predicted low of 37 degrees. I guess the laws of physics have changed because I know just a few years ago and for most of my life that ice began to thaw at 32 degrees. What the heck is going on? DSU is closed today and tomorrow. So is Mississippi Valley State. Yes, it is predicted to snow tomorrow. The projected temperature? Are you ready for this? The meteorologist say once more the temps will hover around the nightly low of 37. What's wrong with this picture?

If that is the way things are now, if schools close when it rains, I will not be able to train for the Chicot Challenge. I am really baffled over this. I have lived here for 59 years and I would bet the house that it won't snow more than a spit full. We get about one snow in ten that is forecast for us and we almost never hit the predicted lows. And it is not even supposed to freeze!!! So what is going on? Someone please inform me because I feel like I am living in a society of morbid stupidity, magnum sissies, and full blown ner-do-wells. Tell me I'm wrong, please, and tell me why because I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment