Friday, January 15, 2016

It Will Get Better

Right now on Tuesday and Thursday nights, I have more time than fitness. I went in Thursday determined to bust out a big one. I did, sort of. I only got 1,300 for a warm up which isn't bad but I wanted more. The Masters practice, however, was a tough one, or at least I thought it was. We started with 6 X 50 @ 1:15. Our instructions were to swim strong and hold pace. I let Mark set the tempo, and we swam these in :40 which is not all out but not lazy by any means. Then we swam 300 with paddles breathing 3, 5, 7 by 25s. The Mad Swimming Scientist has a fetish for breathing patterns.

After the 300, we did another round of 6 X 50 @ 1:15. Guess what came next. Right, 300 with paddles only this time the breathing pattern was 5, 7, 3. When we finished that 300, we did another round of 6 X 50 @ 1:15.

Our next 300 was on a 7, 3, 5 pattern followed, of course, by another round of 6 X 50. Only one more 300 remained. This one was done without paddles, and the breathing was on 3, 7. 5. That was the end of Masters. With the 1,300 I did in the warm up, I was at 3,700.

Fatigue had already set in, but I started back swimming after coach left, and I tried to think up some sets that would get me juiced up. Since I didn't come up with anything, I kept going until I felt like my arms were going to fall off. I did 1,700 in 32:58. I could have swum another thirty minutes, but I couldn't swim another thirty minutes.

I can definitely feel the absence of those 200,000 meters I did not swim in 2015 compared to 2014. "Fork ready" is how I would describe myself when I crawled out of the pool with 5,400 yards. It will get better, I told myself. It will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment