Monday, September 23, 2019

New Program

Sometime back, I announced that I was shifting my benching program to conjugate method. I never implemented that although it is still in the hopper for future use. After doing some study of several methods of lifting, I realized that I had been doing a form of linear progression that I pretty much worked out on my own.

Recently Brian Alsruh uploaded a video on his channel "NeverSate" where he outlined a free program. After looking at it, I thought it had some potential for how I lift. It is a linear program but the loading pattern is more systematic than the way I do it. To make a short story long, I am going to implement it for the next twelve weeks. In fact, I started Monday, September 23rd. 

My program has ceased to work for me. At least it has ceased to move my bench press up beyond the PR I set about a year ago. If this program doesn't get me at least five more pounds, I will try another one. From what I can gather, all programs work. For a while. Then you have to change things. Although this one is similar to what I have been doing, it is different enough that I think it will boost me a bit. We will see. Below is the outline

Weeks 1 - 4, 4 sets of 8
Weeks 5 - 8, 5 sets of 5
Weeks 9 - 12, 10 sets of 3

The loading pattern that he used to illustrate it is below. It happens to max at my current one rep max but for sets of three. Cha ching! It goes like this:

Weeks 1 - 4
   1 - 100   2 - 105   3 - 110   4 - 115

Weeks 5 - 8
   5 - 130   6 - 135   7 - 140   8 - 145

Weeks 9 - 12
   9 - 160   10 - 165   11 - 170   12 - 175

Even if I don't get 175 for triples, if I can double at 175, that will be a real increase. I am going to follow this for the next twelve weeks. If it works, I will use it until it fails to work anymore and then I will shift to another program. There are several proven programs out there that can be accessed through books or YouTube, etc. I have been in a rut for far too long. Thank you, Jesus, for the new system to work my swimming muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment