Sunday, September 15, 2019

Real Saturday

We had an agreement on what time to meet at the pool. We argued. We raised voices. It was like a bad negotiation between enemies. He wanted me to meet him at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday morning. Like heck. I started at 8:30. We finally settled on 6:30, still way earlier than I wanted to get up on my day off. 

When I started swimming, I was alone. This is another reason the whole thing works my nerves. Whatever the time we set, John is always late. I swam 2,100 the best way I could get it. What that means is I didn't feel like swimming and I stopped and stretched, stopped and drank water, and stopped and wondered why John could not at least get there by 7:00. Finally I finished the minimum I had set for myself and was about to get out of the pool when you know who called. 

"What time, 8:30?"

I wanted to hang up. I will not subject you to what happened next. After I did hang up, I went home and tried to work on my sermon and to watch some college football. My yard needed mowing, and Plate City had weights that needed lifting, but first I had to meet some men from Jackson at Hodge Ski Lodge. We are trying to sell the place and these guys wanted to walk the border lines. What? In this heat and with these snakes and these ticks and these red bugs!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!???!!!

At least they were on time.

We did a lot of walking. I had taken a pair of running shoes with me so I could maybe take a run while out there. Running in the hills always does the body good. I took the run, 4.03 miles, and drove home exhausted, dehydrated, and frustrated. I'll write another post about what happened next.

No comments:

Post a Comment