Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Not Aloof

How many times have you heard it? Cats are aloof. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how often my own ears have taken in those words. The problem is it's not true. No it is not. Don't argue with me. Listen, you might learn something. 

Cats are just like people. They are socially awkward, extremely sensitive, and very proud. This creates problems when we humans don't recognize these traits. For instance, take socially awkward. Those introverts among us can identify that cats, like us, try to be sociable but often times we and they don't know how. Sometimes a cat will jump up on a table hoping you will notice her. If you fail to see that kitty is making an overture towards you, you hurt her feelings. As a result, she will ignore you the next time you call her name. I know because I did that the last time I lay down on a table hoping my wife would rub my belly. She yelled at me, and I have not done it since. One day she will say, "Hop up here, Big Boy, and let me see that belly." I'm going to yell back, "No way, Little Girl, you had your chance, and you blew it."

Besides being socially awkward, cats are extremely sensitive. They get their feelings hurt when we don't notice them, make a fuss over them, or give them undying devotion. Admit it. You want that too. You and I might have lived long enough to learn that we can't have it, but cats have not. They want it, they need it, and they deserve it. At least in their minds they do, and I agree with them. They deserve it. If you don't know that, learn it now and do not forget. Did you hear me? Your cat needs, desires, and deserves you undying attention and devotion. Give him or her that and don't talk back!

Not only are cats socially awkward and highly sensitive, but they are proud creatures as well. Often when they want your attention, but they are simply too proud so show it. You must read their minds, know this, and give it to them anyway. Do it. Don't doubt me, and do not say you don't have time. If a cat follows you into a room, you must speak to him. That means you must be constantly aware because, unlike dogs, they do not make noise when they walk through the house. For a cat to follow you from one room to another and you not respond, wounds their pride severely. Please stop doing that.

In short, pay attention to your cat. Care about her feelings. Dote on her. Be devoted to her. If you don't, she will give you the silent treatment, act aloof to you. And you deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment