Thursday, January 3, 2013

EndangeredSwimmer in Danger

EndangeredSwimmer is in danger of wimping out on cold water swimming. It has been since December 17th that I swam outdoors. I read with relish the exploits of people like Gordon Grindly, Pauline Squire, and others. But I'm a hot weather person, and it's just been so dang cold. I haven't taken or sought out a water temperature reading in a while, but Randy, the only one who will do this stuff with me, has been out of pocket, and that coupled with the cold air temps has put a major chill on my motivation to swim in the cool. All the other times when I swam outdoors this fall and winter have been on days when it was warm and sunny out. For me, that makes a huge difference. At any rate, I pushed the cold water thing farther than ever before. If it will just get warm out, I may put on my wetsuit and have a go at that, but somehow I doubt I'll go skin only in the outdoors until late February at the least.

For the year, I swam 873,843.28 meters for 542 miles. That is a lifetime high for me. Maybe I can beat it, or at least get close, next year. My running was still down as I managed only 741.94 miles for a weekly average of 14.26. That is not very good, but I'm thankful for that as my running has suffered for a full four years now. The worst year was 2010, with 2011 being only slightly better and this year only a little better yet. One of my New Year's goals is to average at least twenty-miles per week running. I need that much to keep my weight in check and to stay in some modicum of running fitness.

Speaking of weight, I am way fat right now. This holiday season I have exercised considerable restraint on the ubiquitous presence of high-caloric food. Nevertheless, my waistline has steadily expanded. Whatt?!?! I really believe that I am at a point in life where I don't have to eat the food anymore; just being in its presence is enough for me to pack on pounds.

I didn't mention biking. I haven't even run the numbers since I probably rode fewer than 200 miles. In 2010, when my running was at its lowest ebb, I did 31 rides of 100 or more miles and a yearly total of  right at 5,000 miles. I had a lot of fun. Somehow, however, I just never got started biking in 2012. One reason was a bad saddle. Another reason was the crazy way I approached swimming thoughout the year. It's just a little difficult to do it all at a high level and keep a job, family, and health even. Consequently, the fat ladies beat my buttocks at the Heart O' Dixie triathlon. There is another resolution here, but my guess is that you are smart enough to connect the dots.

I started the week and ended the year with a 3.15 mile run in the hills this past Monday. The new year started Tuesday with a 3.27 mile run and some squats afterwards. Wednesday was another 4.47 miles of running and Thursday, during my lunch break, I shuffled 3.45. Finally, we had Masters swim Thursday night, my first time in the water in a week.This time of year, with the pool fifty-miles away and closed often, I have some real trouble getting any volume of swim training. Somehow, I need to find a way to start rebuilding my endurance since the Chicot Challenge is two-miles longer this year and is set for June 1st. At practice I swam

1,000
4 X 400 pull as 150 breathing 3, 5, and 7 by 50s/50 back, repeat
8 X 125 as 100 strong/25 all out :30 rest
200 easy
Total 3,800 yards = 3,473.2 meters.

My plan was to go back to the pool tomorrow since normally I am off on Fridays. However, I have to work this one, much to my chagrin. If I don't start getting some distance in the water, I'm afraid I might snap and smite someone repeatedly about the head and shoulders. Maybe next week.

1 comment:

  1. I would say endangered mean that being a swimmer can be dangerous at point, especially waters that have poisonous water snake,anything can happen if you are not prepare for a long distance swim.

    ReplyDelete