Saturday, January 12, 2013

Return of the Mad Swimming Scientist

It felt a little like a return to normalcy as I was able to get into the water three times this week. I know for some of you real swimmers who occasionally glance at my posts, that is hardly swimming at all. But with my setup, this time of the year is extremely difficult for training. I missed one whole week of swimming and for two weeks I entered the water only one time each. Additionally, during the holidays there were no lifeguards on duty so I had to get out of the water when practice was over, Normally I stay in and do extra distance. But finally, the holidays have passed, the lifeguards have returned, and I have water in my ears.

Cagri the Mad Swimming Scientist
You would thing that our coach would know that not only me, but his whole team is in less than stellar shape right now, but Thursday night, after I ran five miles in the afternoon, he flung the 30 X 100-@-2:00-take-your-heart-rate-every-100-set at us. I don't call him the Mad Swimming Scientist for nothing.

It was dreadful. Margarette started beating me in the final ten 100s. Dude, that hurt my feelings. I am supposed to be the marathon swimmer of the group, and I gassed and was getting my butt handed to me by a . . .  nice woman. She is nice; she is just super competitive, and she loves to beat me, and sometimes I resent it. She especially likes to show out on kick sets. I am usually the last one to the wall after any kick set. She is the first, and she loves that. So after Thursday's practice, I made plans to come back Friday. I finished the night with 4,700 yards and a bruised ego.


Friday, on my own, I swam

2,000
500 back kick/swim
1,000 large paddles
300 back kick/swim
1,100 medium paddles
200 back kick/swim
1,200 small paddles
100 easy
Total: 6,400 yards = 5, 892.8 meters

That should put a little endurance back into my swimming muscles, and maybe now I can start rebuilding for my charity swim in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment