Thursday, May 26, 2016

Dragon Down

I slew the dragon, but now I have to do it again. You always have to kill the dragon twice. Tuesday I did my last monster workout before Chicot Challenge V. From now until Chicot time, it will all be downhill. Until I face the beast on June 4th.

I arrived at the pond around 9:30 a.m. and was swimming by 10:00. Despite the fact that I wanted a big swim, I was determined to go only as far as my body didn't protest too much. I am at that fearful stage. Better to get into the water June 4th under trained rather than injured even in the mildest way. I started with five straight laps then got out and did my two-mile run. 

After the run, I put on a base layer top to protect myself from the sun and swam three laps with it on. I could tell right away that the drag was slowing me down. I even almost stopped after the first lap to take it off but kept going. The watch later confirmed what I felt in the water. My pace for those three laps were a dismal 37+ per mile. But it didn't mater. It was all about the work and the drag made the work even better.

To make a short story long, I swam and ran for some pretty good totals: 9.03 in the water and 6.06 on land. All of this eleven days before the big event should be perfect. I have now done what I can to prepare. All that remains is tapering, light swimming, and tying up all the loose ends. If you are a praying person, please pray for good weather on swim day. Besides an absence of storms, we need light winds. No wind would even be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment