Wednesday, February 1, 2023

It Was Real Fun

My legs felt pretty good after the four-mile run and the max squat effort Monday. But once more I am getting ahead of myself. I went to the pool. I was a little late getting there. Then I had to get out early for necessary business. To make a short story long, I only swam 700 yards. But hey, that's better than a poke in the eye. A little bit.

I had a nice day at work, drank lots of coffee, and changed the world through my teaching. Also, I received some good news about the Greenwood Center. It is looking like we are going to be here next year, maybe for several years. That means I will be working next year, maybe for several years.

After work, I had a sudden tooth dentist appointment. I had an appointment latter in the month for another crown. I think I have spent enough money on my mouth to build my dentist a vacation home in Florida. Anyway, they called and said the crown was in, and if I could drop by we could finish this project up. Yehaa.

It was cold and rainy in Greenwood, Mississippi. What do you think the chances were of me getting out on the road and running were?
   
     a) slim
     b) none
     c) not a chance
     d) never gunna happen

The answer was e) all of the above. 

No I don't like running on a treadmill. But when you need a run and the weather is such that even the ducks call in sick, a treadmill is a gift of God. That's why He created it on the eighth day. It's in the Bible. Look it up. Not only that, but the treadmill I have was literally a gift from a nice lady who sometimes looks out for me. She gave me the treadmill and that big fan that keeps me alive in the summer time.

I ran and lifted. It was push day, and I did three sets of benches with the Swiss bar and four sets of overhead presses on Plate City's newest machine. Of everything I have at the City, this overhead press machine is my favorite. I love this thing, I love it a lot, and I love it more than that. 

Why?

It is convenient and it feels good. I know that might sound goofy. You go to the gym to work hard and are always looking for an easy way to do it. But the easier it is to get into an exercise, the more likely you are to do it and put a lot more into it. In the past, to do overhead pressing, I either had to get out the log or move some j-cups and benches and get things set up. The log is awkward and difficult. Yes, that makes it a good exercise because it works the whole body in the bracing. Doing them on the powerrack is nice, but I have to set up for them. 

Yeah, I'm lazy like that. 

With the machine, I just sit down and start cranking out reps. That's nice. I can push hard, don't have to worry about falling down, and don't have to worry about dropping weights on my head. Heck, I like it so much that on pull night guess what else I do? I can't say no to it.

So I shuffled 3.25 miles on the treadmill while it rained on the City's metal roof. That sound is so soothing that I hope it happens again today. I worked my pecs and shoulders until they started tapping me on the back and saying, "No mas." 

It was real. It was fun. Heck yeah, it was real fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment