Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday Summary

I had a good week of training and it is now time to start tapering down for the Suck. I got in 21.17 miles of running, which makes three 20-milers in a row. Maybe after three and a half years, I'm about to get my running back. The 300 Oaks was fun and I ran a 52:28, about a minute slower than last year. Considering I ran everyday and swam a 10K the day before, I guess that wasn't too bad.

Although I only swam four times, I managed 30,128 meters and two 10Ks. Friday was at the pond and Saturday Randy and I swam 12,100 at Twin Rivers after running the Oaks. For the year I am at 701,983.47 meters (436.28 miles). My running is still behind the swimming at only 431.66 miles. But my numbers are up and my weight is down. Things are looking good for the Suck and maybe some good running this winter. The Swim the Suck is gong to be big this year, and I get to meet a couple of my heroes: Penny Palfry and Martin Strehl.

I have not yet decided how much training I'll do next week, but not over one 10K swimming, and if I do that, it will be the last one before my race. I do plan to do more sets of long course 100s @ 2:00 and below. Over the years, I have become convinced that those are the most productive sets one can do for building speed and strength in the water. They also are not bad for endurance when the rest intervals are short. I have the endurance to swim all day. Now, I need to focus on quality sets to give me the speed and the nerve to go out hard in a long swim and not fear dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment