Saturday, September 1, 2012

Alone at the Pond

Thursday I shuffled 7.35 miles in Isaac. After a nap at my daughter's, I went to Masters and got in 4,800 SCY. The main set was 4 X 800 done as

1 and 3 = 25 hard/ 25 easy with fins
2 and 4 = 50 dolphin kick on back/ 50 swim with fins
It was a lot more difficult than it sounds. After the cool down, I usually do extra swimming. After the cool down, I got out and went home.

My wife was off work Friday so I did a little 2.15 shuffle and then we went to Jackson. Saturday morning, I got up and went to the pond. I don't know where Randy was because he didn't answer my text from Friday. He may have gone to Florida as he had planned before Isaac came along. His plan was to go somewhere about an hour east of Pensacola to some spring fed body of water for some cold water training in preparation for the Suck. He could have stayed home.

I didn't take the temperature but I suspect it was in the 70s. If we swim outdoors from now until then (Oct 6), we will be acclimated. With the lengthening and cooling nights, the water temp is steadily easing its way downward. I swam 8.17 miles. My pace was pretty slow, but it was eight-miles, I was alone, and it was very choppy. The chop, from the nine to fifteen mile per hour winds, makes a real difference. I took a little 2.15 mile run, and left needing a nap.

The Suck is exactly five weeks away. With a two-week taper, that leaves three weeks of cramming in all the swimming I can. I hope to get at least one swim a little longer than this one, and I need some long course speed work.

No comments:

Post a Comment