Saturday, December 15, 2018

Friday on Thursday

Friday is my long swim day. Long swim, like long run and heavy weights is a relative term, a movable one. Right now, a long swim for me is around 6,000 yards. In the past, I learned that a good way to train for marathon swimming, is to do traditional pool work that includes lots of drills and sprints of various distances and rest intervals. Add to that one day of volume and you have the recipe for endurance. Usually I wait until after the first of the year to begin my buildup. I have already started this time in part because I have the opportunity with the new Twin Rivers pool and I have the hunger after being dry for almost ten months and doubting I would ever be able to swim again. Now I can swim. Thank you, Jesus.

This week, Penny wanted to go to Jackson Friday so being off work, I did Friday on Thursday. Here's how it went:

4,600 1:21:17 @ 1:45 pace
10 X 100 @ 2:05
10 X 50 medium paddles @1:06
400 small paddles
total: 6,500 yards for a total average pace of 1:42. That is training right there. 

After going home, taking nutrition, and resting, I lifted at Plate City. Trevor was out and it was rainy out so Ii was happy to get a good lift in. I did on the bench press

10 X 95
10 X 105
10 X 115
10 X 125
10 X 130
1 X 135

on the incline bench press, I hit

11 X 90
10 X 95
10 X 100

Then I moved to the decline and pressed

11 X 80
10 X 85
10 X 90

I also did lots of cord work and tried to do some flys but my shoulder really did not like that too much so I only did one set. Friday on the way to Jackson, I could feel my pecs getting tight and sore. I love that. Why is it that the only muscle in my body that ever gets sore is the pectorals? Maybe because I don't work any of them as hard. Anyway, that was one good training day and I am thankful to Jesus Christ for blessing me to be able to pull it off. The shoulder is not 100 %. Maybe it will never be, but as long as I can do the kinds of things I did Friday, I am a happy man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment