Thursday, December 6, 2018

Wednesday

Trevor usually gets off work early on Wednesday, but for me it is one of my long days. He texted about 1:00 and wanted to know when we were working out. That meant I would not get to swim before the weights which is how I like to do it. So we hit the weights then I went inside for some nutrition and rest before going to the pool. At the pool, I swam

1,500
5 X 100 @ 2:05
250 medium paddles
3 X 100 @ 2:12
900 small paddles
total: 3,450 yards.

I am beginning to notice something about myself. I am consistently tapping out when the sets get tough. On the first 100s, I quit after five reps. Why? It's like I have no tolerance for swimming pain anymore. On the second set of 100s, I increased the interval to give myself more recovery time and still stopped at a mere three reps. What the heck?!?!?!  I remember training for Swim the Suck a few years back and wearing two Garmin watches and doing up the 26 X 100 at under 2:00 in the long course pool. I can't accept the possibility that I just can't do it anymore. Maybe I am so far removed from top form that I can't yet embrace the discomfort that comes with hard interval training. I had thought that the prospects of the Senior Olympics had filled my motivation tank to the top. But when it gets difficult in the pool, I am taking the easy way out.

Either I don't have the heart for hard swimming anymore, or I don't have the heart for hard swimming anymore. Sigh. Maybe it will return. I'll try again today and see what choice I make when I am gasping for air at the end of the lane. Maybe today I won't be a coward. Help me, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment