Monday, March 6, 2023

2/27 - 3/5

It was race week, so there was a big drop off for much of it. Monday, for instance, I got tied up with something and barely got a swim in (1,400 yards) and then some gym time. No running whatsoever.

Tuesday, I did a good swim and my long run of the week (besides the race) at a whopping 3.25 miles. In the pool, I hit 2,200 yards with some nice quality. I also lifted some weights. 

Wednesday, I swam for the first time with my new pace clock. I hit 3,000 yards, then ran 2.18 miles, but skipped my leg workout to freshen for the Mississippi Trail 50 Saturday.

Thursday, I did not run. I did swim 2,300 yards. That was all. And Friday, I hit the road on the way south so there was no training whatsoever. 

Saturday was the big day. I did the 50K at the Mississippi Trail 50. I made a conservative estimate that I ran 21 miles of the 31. That's what I gave myself credit for in my training diary. I had fun at the race. Of course there was some discomfort. There always is. But already the pain is shifting to the background and what remains are good thoughts and nice feelings about the whole event. Next year? I don't know yet. I am not sure I can ever meet the cut-off for the 50 miler and that is the distance I want to conquer next. I had hoped to do it this time at the MS Trail 50.

For the week, I

swam 8,134 meters, (way down)
ran 26.43 miles, (a little low) and
lifted weights two times (very low)

So all in all, it was a light week plus the one big effort. That 50K should add a little endurance back into my legs. Not only that, but now I can really focus on the swim. That is the next big thing things. I have the State Senior Olympics, the State Games of Mississippi, Pool Fools, and the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon coming up. Strength and swimming will be the order of the day with a little running thrown in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment