Monday, March 13, 2023

I Talked it over with Pee Wee

We had a long-time hangout Saturday, Pee Wee and I. There is a reason for that, and the reason started at the first of last week. Monday I ran short on time, or was it energy? Wichtever it was, it caused me to not run, but more importantly, to not lift. That meant Pee Wee did not have his jam session with me. I did swim for 2,400 yards but nothing else but lazy lounging with cats. Pee Wee patrolled Plate City Gym alone.

Tuesday I only swam 1,450 yards. Maybe that is why I did a small run, 1.15 miles, and went to the City. Pee Wee scouted for monsters and other trespassers while I did both push and pull on the weights.

The next day I hit the pool for 2,400 yards, but for some reason, the gym lights remained off and neighbors did not see me on the streets. Maybe it had something to do with recovering from a 50K.

Thursday I had another good swim practice (2,600 yards), but Pee Wee remained alone outside. I shuffled on the road for 2.68 miles.

Friday is usually long day: long runs or long swims or long gym time or all three or two of the three. I had a pretty good swim, but not a really long run. Normally, I do a straight swim on Fridays. I was, however, inspired to do sets since I have a swim meet coming up in a little over a month. I swam a total of 3,400 yards which should be enough volume to aide in endurance as well as speed and stamina. I am working hard on stamina right now which is both the most inclusive training as well as the most gruelling.

I did it all Saturday. I went to the pool for a solid swim of 3,300 yards, then went to the City. Pee Wee was over the moon. Sweet boy. We talked about my eating problems. Remember, I had to get a to-go box when Penny and I went out Friday night? That was a first for me, and it both hurt my feelings and caused a little concern. Pee Wee said not to worry about it, that I was recovering from a 31-mile race and that changes everything. Besides, he said, sometimes he doesn't eat all his food, and look how fit, fast, and hansome he is. Good point, I answered.

It was one of those combination workouts: I combined everything. I lifted push, pull, and legs. That means full body. Tough. And I ran between sets on the treadmill. I kind of like the running at the gym, and I kind of don't. I'm weird like that. So I was out there a long time, and we talked a bunch. He told me how frustrating it was to bark at squirrels he has no chance of biting. I told him to keep doing his job and one day he would get one. On Monroe, he caught them routinely. Well, I finally dragged back into the house leaving Pee Wee forlorn and gazing into the trees in the neighbors' yards. I know your frustration, Little Man.

I think Pee Wee was right. I should not worry about this abberation of last week. It did follow a 50K, and I am not a young man. You can't be on the mountain top all the time. I just want to get up there once in a while. Once. 

For the week, I

  lifted weights two times!!!!
  ran 7.07 miles!!!!!, and
  swam 14,212 meters

Only the swim numbers were good. But it is a new week, I think I have recovered, and I am off work. Boy Howdie how I hope to work hard and hang out with my hound. Thank you, Jesus, for hope. It keeps our heads up and our feet moving. If you are reading this, get out there and do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment