Thursday, March 16, 2023

Still on the Pee Wee Program

Following Pee Wee's advice has me hitting my stride at mid-week. At the pool, Vicki and I are training for the Senior Olympics, and to give us motivation we are racing imaginary fat ladies. Don't laugh; it works. Wednesday we swam 3,350 yards. Our practices diverged at the end, but mine went like this:

  1,000 20:12
  2 X 25 (talking to a new guy who started on the wrong end of the pool)
  200 for time (3:17)
  50 for time (:43)
  100 for time (1:31)
  100 back for time (2:05)
  50 back for time (:59)
  500 for time (8:41)
  You might recognize the "for time" swims. That is "the meet." Last time I did          "the meet," I swam 100 with small paddles between each rep. This time, 
  rested 1:00.
  300 easy
  50 ? I don't remember what I did here or why I did it
  6 X 25 no breath
  250 easy
  4 X 50 medium paddles
  2 X 100 small paddles
  50 easy
  total: 3,350 yards

Who will say that is not good training. It has volume, intensity, and stroke work. Not much stoke work, but is has some. We both swam our entire meet in a matter of minutes, a meet that will take place over four hours when the real thing goes down.

After lunch, Penny and took the afternoon together. We first drove over to Sky Lake. We had never been there before. There are some large cypress trees in there, but I used to hunt a tupelo gum break that had bigger trees, much bigger. There were (and I'm sure still are) cypress trees so tall at my old hunting spot that you could not kill a squirell out of the top of one with a 20 gauge shotgun shooting three inch magnums through a 28 inch full choke barrell. No joke.

That's a pretty big cypress, but I've seen 
bigger, much bigger.

When we left Sky Lake, we drove to Wister Gardens and walked around a while. Things are just beginning to bloom there. I bet it's something a month from now.

Penny at Wister Gardens

From there, we drove some back roads near the catfish processing plant close to Itta Bena. Then Penny wanted a hamburger. I was hungry too. She didn't want anything from Greenwood (chain stuff) so we wound up at Acy's on top of the hill. It was good yeah. And we got ice-cream on the way out.

To top off the perfect day, I went to Plate City. Pee Wee was happy with my numbers I've been turning in, and he was happy I was out there. I was more happier. How is that for GHS English, Lynn? I ran on the treadmill and did legs. Since the 50K, I have been slowly rebuilding with a different routine. I am focusing on reps rather than weight. Why? Variety and form. Also, I'm looking for a different training effect. The reps will help my lower body muscles be able to better deal with lactic acid. That should translate to faster performances in races such as a 5K. Should, but if it doesn't, so what? I will still gain strength and at my age that is important. Eating well and getting adequate rest are important. Doing strength training is importanter. 

Did you notice? The preceeding paragraph is Bro Science. Whether it works or not is really not an issue. I am in the gym working, and that is never wasted. There are always benefits from making your muscles work hard. Thank you, Lord, for the best gym in Greenwood. Thank you also for a good break thus far. May it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment