Friday, March 10, 2023

Last Day

A festive atmospehre wafted through MDCC's Greenwood Center Thursday like food smells coming from the culinary division next door. The police officer was smiling when I walked through the door a bit before 8:00. Most of the students were tardy and distracted. They had that far-away look in their eyes like they were dreaming of upcoming vacations. Oh, wait. They were dreaming of upcoming vacations. And so was I. It was the last day of classes before Spring Break. 

Yehaa!

I have three classes on Tuesday and Thursday in contrast to four on Monday and Wednesday. That makes the last day of the working week shorter and easier and gets the weekend started right. When I left school Thursday, I had just a touch of that freedom feeling that I cherish so much.

After a little rest, I went to the pool and started warming up. I told Vicki I would be there at 4:00, but since I like long warmups and she likes short ones, I got in a little early. I swam

  1,000
  500
  300
  250
  200
  150
  200 medium paddles
  total: 2,600 yards

The 1,000 was a warmup, mine. The 500 was a second warmup, Vicki's. The 300 -150 was my main set and was swum hard with 1:00 minute rest between each rep. That was a solid set and the kind of swimming that will pay off come meet time. While we were there, a mom and her three (or was it four?) kids came in. They left after a minute or two, but they would have filled the pool up for play time. Increasingly, we are finding children playing in the pool. I'm not talking about swim lessons. We can co-exist with swim lessons. But kids throwing everything in the building into the pool and having no idea that you can't see them is a problem. In the summer, they own the big pool. Sometimes they still come into the little pool. You can't train with kids playing in the pool.

At home, I rested only about thirty minutes before going out for some roadwork. I shuffled 2.68 miles, only my second run since the 50K. My legs felt a little better. My feet felt a lot better.

I didn't go to the gym because I did my last push and pull workout Tuesday. I'm due for an upper body session Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment