Wednesday, March 1, 2023

In-Class Writing and Pace Clock

I am in class. We are writing. Sigh. No really I enjoy it. NOT. No, really I do. Right now we are writing.

Pun intended.

I like this because it gives me a chance to update my blog. Not only that, but I can get caught up writing in my blog. Furthermore, I can make a post in my blog.  Not only that, but I can write some more in my blog. I like my blog. I write in my blog everyday. 

One of the ways to get better at writing is to write. Another way to improve one's writing is to write more. In addition, writing often is a good way to become a better writer.

Still another way to imrove one's writing is to read. But one must read good writing or reading can have a detrimental impact on one's compositional skills.

A solid reason I like to write so much is that it gives me time to drink coffee. Drinking coffee is important because it helps me get hydrated for my afternoon workouts. Today, I plan to do a short run and a long swim, not necessarily in that order. I have a package coming from Swimoutlet, and I hope it gets here before I head for the pool. The package contains some replacement paddle straps and a pace clock. 

I haven't swum with paddles in a while because my straps are worn out. And I have not used a pace clock since I stopped swimming at DSU Masters. I sometimes use the regular clock at the end of my lane. But you have to use it primarily for rest time. Since it has a second hand, I can set a rest interval between reps. You just look up when you finish the whatever you are swimming and see where the second hand it. If they are longer reps, like 200s or longer, I usually rest a minute. That is easy to do on any clock with a second hand. 

I am, however, excited to be able to use something that is made for swimmers. I can do things @ a certain sendoff or @ a certain rest interval. It will be easy to read, and I think it will motivate me to swim some tough sets that will make me a better swimmer.

Some of the sets I need to do are 100s @2:00. This is a tough set that builds stamina. Stanmina sets work on everything. So, you ask, why not do only stamina sets? The answer to that is anyone who did would commit suicide. They are just too tough to do too often. But the pace clock should give me a little extra juice to at least do them once per week.

With my new pace clock, I will be training to kick butt and take names at the State of Mississippi Senior Olympics. That meet is coming up in about one month. Hey, I have to put things in high gear. My plans is sets of 100s, sets of 50s, and longer sets of 200plus. These, along with my weekly long, straight swim, will have me in good form by the end of April.

Not only will the pace clock help, but Plate City Gym is much better than ever. I have more stuff to do dryland training such as a speed bag, a punching Bob, a heavy bag, and a double end bag. In addition to that, I have an overhead press machine, lots of weights, and the skierg. Dude, I have more stuff than energy. 

That is a good problem to have. Praise God Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment